AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering... can you re-use the amp from a powered sub? Like, say a friend accidentally kicked your speaker and damaged it but the amp (and enclosure I guess) remain flawless. Could you just replace the speaker, or even take the amp to a bigger enclosure/speaker?

No real reason for asking, I'm just wondering.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes and no.

If you're just going to replace the damaged driver or reuse the amp in another sub application then no worries.

If you plan to use the amp on a full range speaker, you may have poor performance on high frequency material. This is only the case for class D amplifiers however. Now before I get flamed by everyone, class D amps can be full range and have excellent sound but they cost more to make this way. A sub can get away with a "lower" performance amp because the frequency response is so limited.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan.carlson /forum/post/0

Yes and no.

If you're just going to replace the damaged driver or reuse the amp in another sub application then no worries.

If you plan to use the amp on a full range speaker, you may have poor performance on high frequency material. This is only the case for class D amplifiers however. Now before I get flamed by everyone, class D amps can be full range and have excellent sound but they cost more to make this way. A sub can get away with a "lower" performance amp because the frequency response is so limited.

Yes and no.

It depends on what you are going to re-use it in. That amp may be optimized for the driver and enclosure that it was designed to work with in the form of equalization at certain frequencies, etc. So, you may not get the desired result if used in another combination. I would check with the DIY crowd for a better and more informed answer.

Good luck with whichever way you choose to go.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/0

Yes and no.

It depends on what you are going to re-use it in. That amp may be optimized for the driver and enclosure that it was designed to work with in the form of equalization at certain frequencies, etc. So, you may not get the desired result if used in another combination. I would check with the DIY crowd for a better and more informed answer.

Good luck with whichever way you choose to go.

I can agree with this response. It's kind of hard to tell if the manufacturer of the the amp put any bass boosts or nulls to EQ the driver a bit.

However, if you were going to consider using the amp, I'd mount it in a separate box/case instead of cutting a specific hole for it in a new cabinet - in the event the amp isn't to your liking and you have an irregular hole in your sub cabinet.

But, if it were me, I'd put the amp up for sale on eBay and get what you could for it. Then, head to Parts Express and pick up one of their $99.00 240-watt subwoofer plate amps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.