AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, if this issue has been addressed in the past, I humbly apologise. I did google the issue and came across one post that really didn't go anywhere.

I've had my 5080 since November. Several months ago, I noticed random video dropouts, where the screen would go completely black for a fraction of a second, then go back to normal. I first noticed this with a new Sony 400 dvd jukebox, and as I was using this jukebox constantly, assumed the issue WAS with the jukebox. However, afterwards, while watching a laserdisc via the s-video input, or a blu-ray movie, using one of the hdmi inputs, the same issue popped up.

The audio is never affected, just the video. The maddening thing is it is very random. When it first happened, it would act up several days in a row, often giving me random blackouts at the rate of 10-20 per half hour of viewing. Then, the issue totally disappeared for 2 months! It would reappear for one night, and then, again, disappear totally for several more weeks.

A few weeks ago, a friend was over to watch a couple of blu-rays. The dropouts came back, driving the two of us nuts. Sure enough, the next day, no issues at all.

It's been fine for the last two weeks, then last night, there was one single blackout while watching a blu-ray movie.

I'm loathe to call in a service guy at this point, because the odds are vastly against me that the set will act up during his visit. For all I know, it might not happen ever again, or it might happen in a month, or tonight. It's that unpredictable.

I do have the extended warranty so I'm good for 4+ years, but I would like to know if other 5080 users have had this issue with their sets??

Also, is this a little-known issue that Pioneer has a service bulletin on?

Again, if this is a common issue that's been addressed, I apologise for not finding the answers on my own.

Kevin

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have the extact same issue with my 5010, built Nov 2007. I thought, at first, it was the HDMI cable; changing that did nothing. Then I thought it was a handshake issue, so I started turn the source on first (both BD and standard DVD players, on different inputs -- dropouts happen on both) and then switching to the HDMI input, and that seemed to help -- until it came back a couple weeks later. Now I turn on the TV first -- on the correct input -- and then the source. This seemed to help; that is, I haven't seen any drop outs in the last six weeks or so.

I use a cablecard and don't see any dropouts there, which sort of leads me to believe it involves HDMI somehow (and hopefully just the handshake). But hearing that yours went away for two months and then came back for no apparent reason makes me slightly uneasy.

My set is still under warranty (bought Jan '09) but I don't fancy a visit from a tech who could possibly screw it up further with some other issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i have the same issue with my Denon 3808Ci receiver, I tried all the hdmi on my Pro-950HD, and one day i was playing around with the settings of the receiver, and I turned off up-scaling from the receiver and I have never had that problem. I am not sure why that would be causing that issue if i turn on up-scaling from the amp.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I have not seen this issue but do all of the obvious, easy things like:

- make sure cables are all tight and secure

- Check cable quality/damage

- The power-on sequence sometimes does matter from what Ive heard so play with that until everything seems happy.

To the OP: Yeah, it will never do it in front of a service tech. Just like when your car makes that weird noise.... it wont do it when the mechanic drives it.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When the issue first popped up back in March I believe, I tried checking all of the cables. In fact, I had the Sony jukebox hooked up via HDMI, but I also tried hooking it up with component cables. The blackouts still happened.

I have my video sources hooked directly to the tv set. My receiver is for audio only, no video sources are hooked to the receiver.

On days it acts up steadily, I have tried turning the tv off and back on with no success.

For sure the issue is within the tv set and not associated with cables or any of my video source equipment. I have my electronics plugged into APC voltage regulators. I used to live in an apartment that was near a hospital and brownouts were a regular event. (This is years before I bought the 5080), so I've used voltage regulators ever since. I live in an area now that has stable power and the regulators never fluctuate at all.

I would hate to have the set sit at a repair shop for several weeks or more, on the off chance that it would act up while a tech was actually looking at the set!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor0 /forum/post/17008153

I have the extact same issue with my 5010, built Nov 2007. I thought, at first, it was the HDMI cable; changing that did nothing. Then I thought it was a handshake issue, so I started turn the source on first (both BD and standard DVD players, on different inputs -- dropouts happen on both) and then switching to the HDMI input, and that seemed to help -- until it came back a couple weeks later. Now I turn on the TV first -- on the correct input -- and then the source. This seemed to help; that is, I haven't seen any drop outs in the last six weeks or so.

I use a cablecard and don't see any dropouts there, which sort of leads me to believe it involves HDMI somehow (and hopefully just the handshake). But hearing that yours went away for two months and then came back for no apparent reason makes me slightly uneasy.

My set is still under warranty (bought Jan '09) but I don't fancy a visit from a tech who could possibly screw it up further with some other issue.

Are you the same Greg Taylor I spoke to years ago about getting a translation for the manual for an HLD X9? Just curious...

I don't think the issue is just for hdmi, as I have seen the problem on component input, and in regards to my laserdisc player, on an s-video input!

When I first hooked up my Sony jukebox, I used the hdmi input. When I saw the dropouts, I switched to component and they still happened.

I'm in the same boat as you Greg... I don't want to have a useless service call. The problem with an issue that the tech can't see is, obviously, he can change a part, not see the issue and then proclaim it's "fixed"... only for it to come back again later!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not the same GT, Lazer. One thing I forgot to mention is that I also tried disabling PC Advance, using dot by dot instead of Full or Auto, all to no avail.

That's really interesting -- and kind of disturbing -- that it's happening to you on non-digital sources; I bet it would on mine too.

My Pio is connected to a Panamax 5300, which doesn't have voltage regulation, but drop outs occcured with another Panamax before I swapped it out, so I'm unsure if this could be the issue.

But it is one thing we sort of have in common.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor0 /forum/post/17008968

Not the same GT, Lazer. One thing I forgot to mention is that I also tried disabling PC Advance, using dot by dot instead of Full or Auto, all to no avail.

That's really interesting -- and kind of disturbing -- that it's happening to you on non-digital sources; I bet it would on mine too.

My Pio is connected to a Panamax 5300, which doesn't have voltage regulation, but drop outs occcured with another Panamax before I swapped it out, so I'm unsure if this could be the issue.

But it is one thing we sort of have in common.

I really don't think the issue is with the type of power bar the tv is plugged into. I'm betting it's an internal issue that is just in the very beginning stages of failure.

The problem being how long will it take before the issue is constant enough to warrant a service call?

Have you called Pioneer just to see if this is a known issue?

I think I may try Pioneer Canada tomorrow after work to see if there is a service bulletin on this issue.

Kevin

p.s. I remember many, many years ago I had a Philips CRT tube set. The picture would go from color to black and white for a second or two, and then back to color. The issue would disappear, much like this current blackout issue, for days or weeks at a time. I gave the set to a relative and it did take a long time before the issue became constant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.