AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the Epson 8500UB for almost 2 years now and have never noticed any image retention; however, over the past few months, I've been noticing a great deal of it.

What I'm noticing is that whenever something static is left on the screen (for as little as 30 minutes), it will stick with the projector image for up to 20 hours. This applies to widescreen bars, TV logos, and even the xbox dashboard. Note that this definitely is NOT burn in, as the images do eventually wash away. It's just very surprising that images are retained after only 30 minutes of displaying static content.

The screenshots below show what happened after about 1 hour of FFXIII last night. After another 5-6 hours of content, they are still up there, but will likely go away after another 15-20 hours of viewing other content.

Has anyone seen this before on their 8500UB, and if so, any reason why it might suddenly start happening after 1.5 years of ownership (as viewing patterns haven't really changed since purchased)?

Attachment 219529

Attachment 219530

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Earlier generation LCD's would exhibit this behavior, but, I haven't seen it mentioned here with more modern ones. One of my projectors is an old Epson HC400 that my son games on for hours at a time, and no hint of retention.

Since it sounds like you're within your 2 year warranty period, I'd contact Epson.

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
I had this happen on my 8700UB. I have owned a lot of Epsons and it was only on an 8700UB that this happened. I noticed it during the NBA Playoffs, after 1 quarter of play I could see the scorebox on my screen.

I contacted Epson, explained to them and they were perplexed. Got a replacement and watched the rest of the playoffs and never a hint of it.

Not sure why yours showed up down the road, but contact them for a swap.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called up Epson support and they were very quick to send off replacement. They put a tier 2 rep on, who I don't think understood the concept of IR, because he kept saying that it was "burn in" and that "all LCD projectors get it."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts