AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed rapidrun digital cables throughout my new house. I cannot seem to get the system to carry 1080p signal without fragmentation of the signal.

Setup is a passive wall plate at the source, 50ft digital runner, and an active wall plate at the HDTV. After speaking with customer support I was sent updated passive plates for the source and also new 50 ft digital runners at no charge. The same issue persists. Wont carry 1080P from a samsung blueray unless the resolution is 720p.

To trouble shoot I began by connecting the TV to the blueray with a 6 ft HDMI cable and yes, It worker perfectly. I then tried setting up the system seperatly from the wall installation as follows: Blueray-6 ft HDMI cable-passive plate-new 50 ft digital runner-active plate-6ft HDMI cable-HDTV. This was all laid out in my living room with the TV of the wall> When the same problem persisted I confirmed the correct part number on the active and passive plates and swapped them out (I have three of each) without improvement. Love some help !

·
Registered
4 Posts
the absolute first thing i would try is to swap locations of your passive and active plates. as with any signal, amplifying it at the end of a run will generate more noise and a lower snr than to amplify it at the source. i'm fairly confident this should resolve the problem you are having.

also, are the active plates bus powered or do they have a seperate supply? to my knowledge the active plates are bus powered in which case at the end of a 50ft run the bus power is probably not great enough to power them. so i'd say start there and hopefully it will work!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
If your BD player supports deep color, and it is enabled, turn it off. The RapidRun system is only speced for 4.95 Gbps, which would be slightly more than required for 1080p with 24 bit color. That is about half what a high speed HDMI cable can do.

Even at 1080p 24 bit you will be close to limits of what it can support. Something a little less than optimal in the system could result in the problems you are seeing, limiting you to 720p.

FWIW HDMI performance is a function of the cable, all the electronics involved, the bit rate, and the environment. What works for one person may not work for you.

Also, devices powered by the 5V line of the HDMI cable tend to be problematic. Sometimes insufficient voltage will be available at the far end, as mentioned above. And sometimes they draw enough current to affect the operation of the source device.

Frankly, a decent quality high speed HDMI cable would probably do the job if you don't need deep color. An active high speed HDMI cable would do the job otherwise. Is there a reason you are using RapidRun?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the two replys. I tried swapping the active and passive plates without any luck. Since the system works on 720 settings the argument from Colm makes sense, especially because rapidrum immediately wanted to change the runners to an updated cable. I'm going to discuss with rapidrun support on Tuesday.

I used rapidrun after being convinced that this was the state of the art solution providing ease on installation and flexibility of changing leads with new technology formats. If I can't get this working what do you suggest I use for 50 ft runs ?

Thanks again..

·
Registered
4 Posts
This:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=181-810

this is the absolute best company i have ever dealt with. while running a private installation business i always received my orders in a timely manner, they have EXCELLENT customer support and stand by everything they sell, not to mention i have never had an issue with their hdmi cables ever. not once.

this specific cable is a 49.5ft hdmi which supports resolutions at 1600p and deep color (rated at its 49.5 ft length) so you should have no issues with it. that is of course unless a whopping $34 would break you. and if for some reason it doesn't work you can get a refund without question.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrfekt /forum/post/20904706

...resolutions at 1600p and deep color (rated at its 49.5 ft length)...

Meaningless drivel. The only thing that is relevant is whether the cable is high speed or not. FWIW there is no certified passive high speed HDMI cable longer than about 25'. That fact that Parts Express claims this is a high speed cable would lead me never to purchase a HDMI cable from them. That said, my guess is this cable is about as good as most generic cables of the same gauge and length. Seems to be a slip from Parts Express' usual honesty and good service.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
I'd suggest an active HDMI extender.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am willing to pull the RR cables and start over. Looking at products at Mycablemart. They clam a certified cable to 50ft (Redmere). Colm's commentrs noted, will this work and provide true high speed? Signal will be run through an AV receiver.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
What you are looking at is an active cable. It is basically a passive cable with built in equalization circuitry customized to the cable at the sink end. The site says it is high speed, ATC certified. So, you should be good to go. Just ask for a copy of the ATC certificate for the cable you are interested in to be sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.