AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone run RapidRun cable through 3/4" SmurfTube that's been terminated at a box (ie, narrows at both ends for the connector that snaps onto the tube and has threads or tabs on the other side to allow it to be fed into a box and secured)? After you pulled it through and the larger head was all the way out, with only the narrower cable remaining inside, was there enough room left in the conduit to pull a few ("few"=~ 3-5) cat5 cables as well?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Why the need to pull RapidRun through Smurftubing? Rapid Run is designed to be a very flexible wiring scheme. Something you install originally and then it may allow you to change the wiring terminations as your needs change in the future.

If you have pulled smurf tubing, then why not simply pull the wiring that you need? If that need changes, then you should be able to repull wire later on.

I personally think that RapidRun and Smurf tubing are trying to accomplish the same thing just in different ways. RapidRun cable is very expensive and you are paying for that extra flexability that you already have with Smurf Tubing. To use both is a waste of money IMHO.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As you said, RapidRun is very expensive. Right now, today, I need s-video + analog stereo run to the master bedroom, computer room, and kitchen. At some point over the next 2-5 years, the TVs in those rooms will almost certainly be replaced by HDTVs and need component video + spdif. 10 years from now? More likely than not, Congress and Hollywood will have banned the sale of anything capable of high-definition analog output. At that point, the RapidRun will be as useless as the 75-ohm TV cable the original builder put inside the wall. I really wish they'd designed their "digital"/red cable so that it could do HDMI/HDCP, but could ALSO limp along and carry composite + analog mono so you could run it to TVs that don't currently support HDMI & still make use of it until the inevitable upgrade.

The other reason for RapidRun vs other cables is because I have exactly two 1/2" EMT conduits running between the first and second floors of my house (the second floor is a cast in place reinforced concrete suspended slab), and one of those conduits is already mostly allocated to ethernet and Elkbus. That leaves conduit #2, which basically has enough room for a single RapidRun cable (split with a component distribution amp on the second floor) or 4 shielded cat5 cables (two per TV).

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
OK. So it is really a space issue then.

I would compare costs, but I suspect that running 1-2 cat5e wires to each location and using baluns to run S-video + audio now and RGB + Audio later wil be cheaper than using RapidRun. Of course you'll need to replace the S video baluns with a RGB balun in the future if you go that route, so be sure to compare the total costs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts