AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hello guy, I'm fairly new here, i sgined up awhile ago, the name is Taylor, I thought I'd share info about this awesome dvd player i bought recently. As of 2 days ago I bought a Toshiba SD-3006 DVD player for $19.95 at a local pawn shop. its date of manufacture is september of 1997. Same year dvd's became mainstream. I'm glad i found this as i've only heard about this model and seen pictures of it, it even has the original price sticker on the side of it from when it was new, listed at $659.99. I took it apart today to give it a nice clean, and i must comment on the clean build of it. in my lifetime I've never seen a dvd player with dual laser lens. another plus is its made in Japan. its been fairly well taken care of and it works like a charm. i will be aquiring the original remote for it off of ebay soon. 

·
Registered
11,543 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

its lens needs a good cleaning, and the front plastic face needs a good polishing but other than that its in really good condition. from what i can tell about the internal build its definitly high quality. it makes my 1998 32 Inch Sony trinitron wega look like an hdtv.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I saw the same dual laser system in a Cyberhome Ch-dvd300s last week. Unfortunately it didn't read a lot of my rips so I took it back to the place I got it. Very interesting drive inside, looked like it would hook right up to a computer.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Actually, one of the FIRST mass produced DVD players was the Sony DVP-S7000 (with the microswitches on the motherboard to defeat Macrovision and Region Coding). Only the VERY first wave of these models featured the microswitches, as Sony was threatened with a lawsuit by the DVD Forum for issuing a player that could bypass Macrovision and Region Coding.

I should know, I have one :)

This player was manufactured in April of 2007, besting your Toshiba by roughly six months!

Some people say there was an RCA DVD player (can't recall the model number) that hit the streets a couple of weeks before the Sony, but many considered it a crap-tastic machine when compared to the Sony DVP-S7000 (still a flagship) that outputs one of the cleanest 480i via component video I have ever seen!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
My first player was right out the gate with the Pioneer Elite DVL-90? LD/DVD combo....I paid $1500 back in '97. Nice player, but sold it quick in '01 when it could not play DVD-9 discs...alla 'The Abyss'......I was also one of the first to get into dolby digital with a pioneer elite preamp demodulator in college :eek: Towards the end of LD when they started coming out with DD with LD (this was before DTS sound came out for LD soon after). I remember throwing in the LD of 'Batman Forever', and was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY in my dorm room with the 'flying credits' at the beg of the movie!!! I also bought, with a credit loan in '97, the Sony VPL-VW400Q projector...which, I believe was the first consumer 16:9 digital projector.....I was in my early 20ies, and now you get my passion for this stuff ;)

END OF KILLER RANT...NOW BACK OT

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
1st DVD Player

My first DVD player was a Pioneer DV-505, manufactured in May, 1998. I bought this because the modifications to make it both macrovision and code free were quite doable using the instructions readily available over the internet for anyone reasonably capable with light gauge copper wire and a soldering iron. I still have it, it still has no clue how to activate macrovision (I never bothered making it code free) and it lives in our mountain cabin and works just fine. Shortly after, I bought my first DVL-909 since I had a large laser disc collection and the very same macrovision and code free mods worked on this player. That also lives in our mountain cabin system and works fine.
Of course I also still have my first CD player . . a Yamaha CD-X1 . . also still working fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts