AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just got a NEC 9PG Xtra from Curt today. Set it exactly as manual states for a floor mount setup. I am using a 45" x 80" wide screen. I am feeding it with a HTPC at 1280x720 @72Hz. Curt had rasters centered perfectly. All position, static controls are set at 0 or where the image is centered within the raster. I have marked the center of my screen and crosshair won't line up on the green gun with center of my screen. I can move centering magnets on all 3 guns to make it line up in center but is this a good idea for focus? The crosshair is about 5 inches below center of screen and to the left about 2 inches. Also, when it tells you the input of the source on the screen it is not in right hand top corner like on my other NEC CRT projectors. It is more toward the middle and down some. It is like the display is off the same amount as the crosshair is from being centered. Any other ideas besides moving the centering magnets? The rasters are centered perfectly now but image just won't line up.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Do Guy Kuo's Holy Focus from step one. Be sure you are using the centering magnets and not the Astig magnets.(But I have learned you can redo the astig relatively easily, when you have to, ha ha ha). Are you using the internal pattern generator, or an external signal ? If you are using the internal signal generator, be sure the phase is set correctly(explained in Holy Focus). If you are using an external pattern, be sure the Position is correctly set.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I know this sounds stupid and I'm sure you know better but, you can have the green tube perfectly centered on the screen back at the mount and still be pointing in the wrong direction. It sounds like your PJ just needs to be tweaked on the mount a bit.

Chip S.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Paul & Chip,

I do have the projector exactly mounted where it is suppose to be and the raster is centered in the tube and image is centered in raster so I guess I just need to tilt the projector to get it to line up the green gun in the center of the screen. Sound right?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Quote:
I do have the projector exactly mounted where it is suppose to be
It sounds like the height of the projector is wrong, so the projector isn't really mounted where it's supposed to be. You can tilt it slightly but if you are more than 5 0r 6 inches off in the vertical direction, you really need to mount the projector properly. If you have to tilt it ANY in the horizontal direction, you will definitely need to relocate the projector. Alternatively, can you move the screen?

Vern Dias

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Alternatively, can you move the screen?
Vern,

I thought about lowering the screen but I was able to tilt the back of the projector down about 2-3 inches and it made the crosshair line up with the center of my screen. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong because when I had my NEC 9PG+ and XG110LC I never had this problem with having to tilt back of projector down to make it line up. I always had front and back of projector level. It worked itself out and the focus on this thing is great. Thats the main thing I was worried about by tilting it. I didn't want to line the crosshair up to center and then have it not focus properly.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
437 Posts
Mike,

The NEC's seem to have some that seem to be spec'ed for 11 degrees and some spec'ed for 12 degrees. I'm not sure what models use which angles, but the 1 degree difference could more than make up the slight positioning difference on your screen when level.

I have used the NEC 9PG Xtra with a tilt angle of about 20 degrees and was able to converge it (though needed some of the point control to get a little extra keystone)

Regards,

Ira

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ira,

The projector converges very well at where I have it. I only have a slight problem with the green gun not focussed at the left and right edges. The blue and red are fine but the green gun is out of focus just on the left and right edges. It is focussed fine in the center and top and bottom. The astig is fine and I have tried adjusting the focus electronically and of course the mechanical edge lens focus. None of them help the left and right edges come in focus. I might have to move one of the focus rings on the green gun for H to see if that helps. The focus rings are set where they are suppose to be now though.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.