AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slight problem (I think) with my ECP4000. First, let me say that the blue tube is an 07, and the red/green are Sd187. I have upped the resistor on the focus block to 55Meg.

What happens, is the blue tube has raster wrap...not image wrap...raster. Or at least thats what it looks like. i have set the raster width, centered it, aligned the pj to the screen so that it is square and centered..etc...etc...etc.

What made me notice, is last night I was doing convergence, and on the upper right corner, I can't pull the blue lines in and converge. They are also slightly out of focus. I looked into the lens (unit is ceiling mounted, front projected) and can see the far right edge of the raster looks like it wraps a little. Looking into the tube, it looks just like the image on the screen when you get into H MOVE. Maybe the farthest 1/4 inch on the tube face.

The strange thing (at least to me) is that it is blue only. red/green are centered to the same location and I have no problems with

them.

Another thing that was interesting, is that when I center the image, the internal convergence grid is way off center...didn't affect the pix or the ability to setup (other than the above) but just seemed strange. I used a VE test pattern (anamorphoic) to set image centering etc using green (this wqas after all mechanical alignments except for centering) and when I went to converge, the center box (coarse adj) was is the left half of the screen. Since this is the 1st time I've really gone through a thorough, thourough setup (I have finally permanently mounted pj :)) I assumed it would be a little closer to the actual screen center. Maybe not...

Could it be because of the 07 tube? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Geez Jay!

Do you think you could have just a FEW more problems with this projector? I don't think you've spent enough MONTHS on it!! I'm worn out just reading about it.... I think your problems with the blue raster are coming from the video control module, where the internal video is generated from, and of course, also controls switching between internal and external video. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha ha Mike, Very funny. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't have made it this far. :) At least it works now and the problem is very minor. I could even live with it as is becasue it is soooo slight. But in the never ending quest for perfection...I thought I'd ask. Other than this, it looked awesome.

And this little bit is in the top 2-3 convergence grid bars...

out by maybe 1/4" or less..

on the letterboxed non-anamorphic DVD it was in the letterbox and didn't affect the image...

PS: The problems weren't THAT bad...mostly my inexperience with this unit. A low/high voltage problem and repalcing the sd187 with 07 tubes (although I did have a ton of questions about both of those) other than that an education really...I just can't give up! :D you just happened to be one of the best teachers. You know I appreaciate all you've helped with

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Yea, I know you haven't had that big a deal with this PJ - I just wanted to give you a hard time:p . Anyway, try swapping that video control module out with another one, if you can borrow it from another ECP laying around. That's probably it. The internal video is generated from one of the insertable IC's towards the edge of the bd.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Yea, I know you haven't had that big a deal with this PJ - I just wanted to give you a hard time
Ok, Pick on the kid that doesn't know anything...;)

I'll try that tonight Mike. I have acquired some spare parts (based on your recommendations) so that I can do things like this. I never thought about the pj haviong a problem. I figured with a different blue tube, and this being the only tube with the problem, that it had to be the tube change.

You know, back to the can't see the forest through the trees thing. Kind of like 7 wires vs 9 out of a HVPS :) You were right on that one too.

After getting that supply from Chuck, which had an inmt probelm, I soldered every connection I could, removed and reinserted every IC about 20 times, removed teh daughter board and reinstered it about 20 times as well, and so far not one hiccup. Knock on wood. It also seems to have helped the "ringing" I was hearing in the LVPS (of which I have 2 more I found that are en route). You were right Keltron=crap...Spellman=good

I have done what KBK has recommended as mods so far and made huge (in my opinion) improvements over the stock pix. I had it running at 1440 x 960 last night. I even thought that I hadn't cleared the memory well enough...so after converging to this point, I cleared and tried again. I am thinking about clearing and setting up at an even higher memory, then backing down to what I want to run at...is this a recommended/good idea? I know everyone says to setup for highest rate, but what about a higher rate? i'll try the video board swap tonight and see what comes of it.

Thanks again Mike. You know if it weren't for me you'd lose your touch on these old ECPs :D

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Hey, I say run it as high as it'll go for kicks. Everyone needs to do that at least once ;) . After a very careful H deflection bd calibration, the highest I was ever able to get an older 4000 to scan, was around 96 khz (it was petty upset with me for awhile too :D ), so they can be forced to really zip. Stock, out of the box, though they're good to at least 85 khz, so as long as you don't exceed that, try whatever res you can get to look good. I'd like a list of your mod's, if you wouldn't mind - you could just PM me since the majority of these were already covered in your other thread regarding mod's. Have fun!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
I'd like a list of your mod's, if you wouldn't mind
After all you've helped me? Of course I won't mind!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.