AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been playing the demo and googling but I haven't been able to find an answer: does the full version of the game let you invert camera AND aiming control? I don't know why they didn't let you do that in the demo, it seems like a very basic option... I am useless with non-inverted controls :/

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
Yes it does. The only exception are the two (three?) 3rd person space vehicle rail levels.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, I still wonder why they didn't care to put this option in: I play the demo to decide if I want the full game or not, and if I can't control the demo I for sure am not going to purchase it, it seems quite obvious...

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/12896787

Yes it does. The only exception are the two (three?) 3rd person space vehicle rail levels.

I had forgotten about that. Not being able to invert the controls for the space flights really took all the fun out of these levels for me. Very weird decision on Insomniac's part not to have an invert option for the entire game.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asshandler /forum/post/12897812

Because demos are earlier code, and inverted controls weren't added until later on in development.

I have worked in the games industry in the past, and something as basic as having inverted controls available should be done very early in development: it's not like it's rocket science, a couple of lines of code to invert the Y value passed to the engine and that's it

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
Well, Gamespot had a promotion that allowed you to get a demo disc of the game with a pre-order of R&C. That version did indeed offer inverted controls... but it had some bad graphical tears as well.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I downloaded the demo for this after reading all the "Its just like being inside a Pixar film" comments.

I have a PS3 connected to a 1080p display via HDMI.

The 3D objects don't look as smooth as I had expected ... its almost like an aliasing issue but not sure. The graphics look good but definitely not on par with recent Pixar flicks.

OR, am I wrong ?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Do you have any idea how much processing power it takes to render a pixar movie? and they surely don't render in real time.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon /forum/post/13649159

I downloaded the demo for this after reading all the "Its just like being inside a Pixar film" comments.

The 3D objects don't look as smooth as I had expected ... its almost like an aliasing issue but not sure. The graphics look good but definitely not on par with recent Pixar flicks.

OR, am I wrong ?

I don't know the specifics but I remember some kind of problem with the game's 1080p mode on certain TVs. Have you tried playing it in 720p and 1080p both?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George /forum/post/13649795

I don't know the specifics but I remember some kind of problem with the game's 1080p mode on certain TVs. Have you tried playing it in 720p and 1080p both?

Well I have large projection screen ... and that would be on reason I can see the surface edges. The 720p and 1080p exhibited the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBDan /forum/post/13649223

Do you have any idea how much processing power it takes to render a pixar movie? and they surely don't render in real time.

Yes, I realize what it takes to render a Pixar movie or any such complex graphic layout. I used to be a resident expert on Povray

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon /forum/post/13649159

OR, am I wrong ?

I think people say it actually approaches older Pixar films, not new ones. This is, in and of itself, quite the compliment. Go ahead and compare Toy Story to Ratatouille or whatever. It's a huge, amazing leap.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon /forum/post/13650068

Well I have large projection screen ... and that would be on reason I can see the surface edges. The 720p and 1080p exhibited the same problem.

Just standard aliasing issues then? It's a very clean looking game but I guess on a large enough screen it would stand out.

This is what I was thinking of. I think it only affects the demo verison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia /forum/post/0

On some 1080p HDTV's The Demo version of Ratchet and Clank appears to be pixelated. Reports of this were uncommon, but it seems that although being a 720p game, when 720p is selected on the display options for the Playstation 3 the game does not appear as it should on some HDTV's (a 52inch 1080p Sony Bravia is one of the mentioned televisions). When 720p is unchecked, leaving only 1080i and 1080p the picture in fact clears up but at the bottom-right of the screen is a block of broken up, fuzziness.

Upscaling from 640p to 720p would cause some strange exaggeration of aliasing, and other minor problems with picture quality. Instead, Ratchet and Clank cuts off 8pixels above and below, meaning the remaining image will still be rendered at 720p but with small black bars above and below, as seen in an HD film on a television. A 1080p film will have black borders above and below, thus not using all the pixels, but the quality that is displayed still means it is 1080p. Ratchet and Clank is even less extreme than this, since the black borders would be almost unnoticeable if HDTVs didn't use overscan to remove them completely. This image is sent from the Playstation to the television, and then the overscan of the television will make the final picture fit the screen, thus not showing the black bars.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I recently beat this game, and it's pretty darn good. It's worth purchasing in my opinion, and it's a pretty lengthly game... maybe close to 30 hours for the average gamer. It took me maybe 20 hours, but I didn't go through a lot of stuff the game has to offer. The game does a magnificant job making use of the motion sensing built into the controller too.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I bought it for my 10 year old son, but it looked so fun I started playing it. I had a blast playing it the first time, and I'm now on the second harder time through it. Great game, not overly complex for me, a casual gamer.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
An expansion pack is being released "soon," as well. Hopefully this will add either more story since it ended with a cliffhanger, or add multiplayer, which is mysteriously absent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts