AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please let me know if I've missed any incompatibilities or if I should consider anything else.

Primary use will be a Win7 Media Center DVR. The HTPC will output to a Pioneer VSX-919AH which then feeds over HDMI to a 47" LG 1080p panel. Energy 5.1 surround sound is handled by the AVR.

CPU: Intel Q6600 (already own)
RAM: 2 x 1GB ADATA DDR2 800 (already own)
MB: GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L - LGA 775 Intel G31 micro ATX
GFX: PNY GT 430 [previously Radeon 6570 - HIS Fanless ]
HDD: 2 x 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000
PSU: Seasonic 400W Fanless
TUNER: Ceton InfiniTV 4
DISC: Lite-On 4X BD Reader iHOS104-08
WIFI: TP-LINK TL-WN722N Wireless USB Adapter
CASE: Lian Li PC-C37B micro ATX

I expect this system to cost me about $875.

Am I safer from the "silent stream" bug using the AMD 6570 vs. the Nvidia 430?

Do I need a sound card for anything or will the AVR handle all decoding with the video card passing the audio over HDMI?

Thank you for your time and recommendations.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
With how cheap RAM is (it'd probably add maybe $40), I would probably go for 4GB even though you already have the 2 sticks. That's just me though.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I woullf probably add a 60-64gb solid state drive for the operating system and programs too. That's just me though.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 /forum/post/20792698

With how cheap RAM is (it'd probably add maybe $40), I would probably go for 4GB even though you already have the 2 sticks. That's just me though.

Yeah, I've had trouble mixing old and new ram thats not perfectly matched. I would probably dump the current ram and buy a 2X2GB kit if your going to do it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkro /forum/post/20793080

I would say thumbs up on everything, but I would probably get a silverstone case instead of the Lian Li.

I probably wouldn't go that expensive on the PSU, but I guess if you have the money.

Yeah I like Silverstone cases too, but I want something closer to a set top box (short height). I despise noise in PCs so fanless was good choice - but as you suggested, I wouldn't make that choice if I was still in college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 /forum/post/20792757

I woullf probably add a 60-64gb solid state drive for the operating system and programs too. That's just me though.

With only 2 bays I feel like they should be dedicated to storage rather than speed. Isn't it quite a tradeoff to put in a 80GB SSD in place of 2TB HDD in an HTPC? I'm not planning to have to boot this thing very often either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 /forum/post/20792698

Agreed. Trying to utilize what I have laying around. I figure if it feels sluggish, I can always upgrade.

Thanks for the comments so far. Anyone have any comments on the 2 questions I asked above?

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petschska /forum/post/20793687

With only 2 bays I feel like they should be dedicated to storage rather than speed. Isn't it quite a tradeoff to put in a 80GB SSD in place of 2TB HDD in an HTPC? I'm not planning to have to boot this thing very often either.

Keep in mind an SSD doesn't need to take up a drive bay. Take a look at this thread on velcro mounting SSDs. I don't know the particular case you're looking at, but there's probably room to hide it in there somewhere.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankev /forum/post/20793762

Keep in mind an SSD doesn't need to take up a drive bay. Take a look at this thread on velcro mounting SSDs. I don't know the particular case you're looking at, but there's probably room to hide it in there somewhere.

You can also do this if you do not like velcro and do not mind spending $35

hdc-65 Noiseblocker NB X-Swing HDD Adapter / Noise Reducer

hdc-67 OCZ SSD 2.5" / 3.5" Adapter Bracket - (OCZACSSDBRKT2)

2 3.5 inch bays in your case go with the velcro

·
Registered
666 Posts
If you get an nvidia card and you plan on using madvr with lavcuvid, which I don't see why there s much reason not to, then you might want to look into getting a more powerful card such as a gts 450.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Final Build

GFX: EVGA GTS 450
SSD: 64GB Kingston V100 SSD
CASE: Antec Fusion Remote - micro ATX

Made GFX card change based on comments that GT 440 GDDR5 is the minimum for LAV + MadVR in this thread .

·
Registered
768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petschska /forum/post/20822632

Final Build

GFX: EVGA GTS 450
SSD: 64GB Kingston V100 SSD
CASE: Antec Fusion Remote - micro ATX

Made GFX card change based on comments that GT 440 GDDR5 is the minimum for LAV + MadVR in this thread .

I had the fusion remote, it is a nice case but the LCD is pointless IMHO.. I was going to get the 37B which I think it is a beautiful case but wanted to be able to turn on computer from couch with my remote control. Ended up with a wesena E7. I would go Lian Li over the fusion. I briefly had a Q07 and the build quality is very good! If you need a full size graphics card than the 37B is out but if going with onboard then I would get that 37B. The fusion just doesn't look as nice with the knob and lcd.. I actually set the lcd to off because it was very very bright, very! lol. Just my opinion though, having had the fusion and wanted the 37B had to chime in. Oh the fusion did run very cool and quiet with fans at low. I had a phenom 965BE in it too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wanted something smaller, but I went with a full size case due to the video card. I've already got the Antec Fusion Remote in and it will work for me. My AV equipment is all enclosed in a cabinet so I'll only see the LCD when I want to. Thanks for the input though. I like the look of that Wesena E7 though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts