Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I rate it is as an outstanding DVD player value if:

- It doesn't have the chroma bug

- It had one set of component output connectors that you could switch between interlaced and progressive from the remote

- It's zoom steps were so good that you could stand to watch an entire 2.35:1 aspect ratio anamorphic progressive mode movie using the lowest 1.33X step with no zoom logo left on the screen

- It's video DAC's are 12-bit, 54MHz

- You don't care about DVD-A or SACD in your DVD player

- It's skips, jumps, lock-ups, stops, etc. problems are all finally solved

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Gee Phil,

I'm sure you get asked this all the time, but didn't you play Mikey on the old Life commercials in the 70's? :)

I'm just kidding of course, but I *would* buy sight-unseen any player you liked. :)

Ken

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Q50 is a very HOT player and the unequaled attention it has gained in this Forum is an objective proof of that.

IMHO this player offers a stunning picture quality and an amazing set of features at a bargain price.

Philips, you made us "suffer" with that bloody freeze bug, but now all I can say is: well done!! :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pnichols
I rate it is as an outstanding DVD player value if:

- It doesn't have the chroma bug

- It had one set of component output connectors that you could switch between interlaced and progressive from the remote

- It's zoom steps were so good that you could stand to watch an entire 2.35:1 aspect ratio anamorphic progressive mode movie using the lowest 1.33X step with no zoom logo left on the screen

- It's video DAC's are 12-bit, 54MHz

- You don't care about DVD-A or SACD in your DVD player

- It's skips, jumps, lock-ups, stops, etc. problems are all finally solved
Hi, pnichols,

The video DAC of Philips Q50 is indeed 12-bit/54MHz.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
kwokyan,

Yes, it is supposed to have 12 bit, 54MHz video DAC's according to the hard copy product sheet I had Philips mail me over a year ago. Sometime after that I saw almost the same product sheet on a Philips site and it listed 10 bit 54MHz video DAC's. I'm glad to hear it actually has the better video DAC's and I suspect that these better DAC's, in combination with the Sage/Faroudja FLI2200 deinterlacer chip, contribute to what I understand is an outstanding image that even surpasses that from the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700. Use of 12bit, 54MHz video DAC's may make it the only DVD player available today to use both the Sage/Faroudja deinterlacer chip along with more than 10 bit video DAC's (.....unless the Krell Standard, and/or EAD 8000 Pro with Faroudja option, happen to use DAC's in excess of 10 bits too).

Is it a "known fact" now that the Q50 does indeed not have the chroma upsampling design error?

Is it a "known fact" now that if I walk into a dealer and buy a Q50 off the shelf in the US that it will contain the proper software version so as to no longer have the freeze-up bug(s)?

How watchable are Q50 images using the 1.33X zoom step and can you get the zoom logo off the screen while watching with zoom in use?

Good answers to all three of the above questions may now make the Q50 a great choice for me over both the Denon 1600 and upcoming Pany RP82 if I decide I don't want DVD-A in a DVD player. However, I do not like using up two component input positions on my RPTV when I switch between interlaced and progressive on the Q50, but this may not be a show-stopper for me if I can figure out a way around it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi

I have owned and returned a Q50. I loved it till I began to notice the jaggies on diagonal and horizontal lines especially watching Phantom Menace. After Liam Neeson jumps on board the ship moving away from a small clash of the light sabres with Darth Maul. The next scene shows Ewan McGregor sitting next to a contraption on board the ship. The jaggies were really bad, more so than my rp-56 in progressive mode on the same shot. Much more so. Annoyingly more so. I do project 92 inches through my VT540 but the rp56 being less than half the prce and doing better on de-interlacing. And thats where the Q50 is supposed to be better, DCDi and all. The only clue I had of being in Progressive Mode on the Q50 was being connected to the component progressive out. Not to mention the audio drop-outs and the freezing. I did not have the patience to go for a firmware upgrade. (Manufactured Oct.'01). Maybe the 962 will be better !!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do NOT purchase the Philips unless you like headaches!

I tried to call customer support for the known problems with the Q50 and the 4.13f firmware but they are no help at all. They state that they know of no issues and the unit cannot be upgraded. There is NO technical support at all.

Since running out of options with Philips I upgraded the unit to 4.15i and have more problems than before. They are as follows:

Horrible stair-stepping in chroma

dvd's freeze

dvd's skip constantly

audio dropout

This unit is going back and I will NEVER deal with Philips again!

The upside of the unit is it has the best picture I have ever seen on a sub $1500 unit. But what good does it do if I have all these other problems and Philips ignores you?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mmcaleer

...snip of rant.

This unit is going back and I will NEVER deal with Philips again!

The upside of the unit is it has the best picture I have ever seen on a sub $1500 unit. But what good does it do if I have all these other problems and Philips ignores you?
While it is unfortunate that you have had the kind of experience you state from Philips and should certainly do what is needed to resolve your concerns, there is no justification for you to dig up old Q50 threads and go on and on with this petulant pouting. I suspect the the majority of Q50 owners, like myself, have never had a problem, even with older firmware and no upgrade. A few have had some difficulties that were resolved with a firmware upgrade. And I am sure that a very few have had lemons --- as you seem to have.

There is not a single product manufactured or grown that is perfect in every unit produced; that is life. You say that you can exchange or get a refund for the Q50 you don't like? Fine, do it and get on with enjoying your home theater. But please stop this personal vendetta that has you going on and on as if Philips knows you and personally has it out for you. My experience with Philips and their products has been superlative; and the Q50 produces a noticeably improved picture over the Panasonic RP-56 and RP-91 from which I have done direct comparisons.

I hope your final resolution leaves you in a better state and able to relax and enjoy your home theater.

Dave

·
Registered
510 Posts
the philips does not have 12 bit DACs instead the sheet specs list 10 bit, and some 11! It seems the same QA went into the spec sheet as the player.

Overall sound is warmer than the Sony and wider. In the grand scheme it is an average on the sound reproduction with a congested upper mid range reproduction.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Carlos

I used the q50 as a transport i.e. using the digital outs, and wherein I found the sound to be as I described before. If you have a preamp it may be a different sound in your setup. As for concern, only if you don't like what you hear otherwise there is no reason to change if your setup is working well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.