AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I decided to mount a dish to grab HDnet. I put up an elliptical dish and get a signal strength of 80+ on all the transponders for 119. (As a side note, 22-32 come in fine, but I also get 8, 10, and 12 which I thought belonged to Dish?) Unfortunately, I get zilch for 101. I realize there are several steps I need to do to troubleshoot this (check the LNB, check the switch, etc.). However, if all I want is HDnet do I really care if I can get 101?

Also, shouldn't I be able to get channel 400 even if I haven't subscribed to Directv yet? If so, I tune to 400 and get a "Searching for satellite signal" message. This seems odd since I have good signal strength, so should I still get the error message?

Any thoughts are appreciated,

Tim

[This message has been edited by thollida (edited 09-23-2001).]

·
Registered
918 Posts
Once you hit the 115 sat, you will be able to receive channel 400 even if you haven't activate the box yet. (I know since I did a similar thing last weekend). BTW: Thanks for all those on the forum that have helped out.

-=-

Mark

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks for confirming that. I should have been more specific in my previous request for help. When I was initially setting up the dish I pulled my DTC100 and an old monitor outside. At that time I was able to get channel 400, I wrote that off to a fluke. Once I moved the box back inside I was no longer able to get 400 (yes I tried moving the box back out and retuning). Obviously I did something, I just have no idea what. It is really strange that I have good signal for 119 yet I still get the "Searching for satellite signal" error message.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quote:
It is really strange that I have good signal for 119 yet I still get the "Searching for satellite signal" error message.
You probably don't have 119. You can get a very strong signal but unless it is the satellite you need, the STB will say it is searching for signal. This always happens to me when I align a dish. Haven't gotten it right the first time yet.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm, okay, now we're getting somewhere. How can I tell if I have 119 or not? I figured that since I only get transponders 22-32 that it must be 119?

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Its common to get another signal and think that its 119. Its probably 101 or 110.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, that must be it, nothing else really explains it. One thing I haven't tried is picking off a 110 channel, I'll try that next.

I guess what convinced me that this was the right bird is that I had a lock on channel 400 earlier today (the test channel on 119), and later on after I moved the receiver I lost the channel (even though I had good signal strength on all transponders). I did have to re-align the dish after I moved the receiver, but only a little bit. Are the satellites close enough together that just a small adjustment can shift you from one bird to another?

·
Registered
918 Posts
No, a small shift shouldn't do it. I helped a friend align an elliptical dish and it did take a while. When I did my install I decided to go with dual oval dishes. I was left wondering if I had nailed the 110 or 119 dish. However channel 400 was the key. I have a HUGE redwood tree about a block away and I wasn't even sure I'd get signals. Sure enough each dish is pointed to either side of the tree.

You may have the multiswitch hooked up wrong. I didn't notice if you mentioned putting it in line or not. Go with a straight through cable from the dish to the receiver (if possible) while testing.

-=-

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.