AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you rate your experience with your new Bravo?

Picture Quality. Design. Features. Performance Etc.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Video 4.5

Very smooth but I need to adjust to color not being as saturated thru DVI as my 9000ES is thru component

Audio 3.0

DD and dts sound like it should thru a $200 unit, slightly veiled and lacking the detail, dynamics, warmth and slam of the once $1500 9000ES.

Criterion Jimi Plays Monterey dts thru the Bravo sounded like I had cotton in my ears while the Sony put Jimi on stage in my living room.

Function 4.0

Have not played many dvds but Toy Story would not play until I hit open and play a second time.

The Bravo went to black when trying to display TS menu screen

Everything else seems to be ok

Overall 4.0

·
Registered
621 Posts
I don't really understand the line about DD and dts not sounding as good through the Bravo. Isn't it just a digital output, going to your receiver? It should sound precisely the same.

I've sold my Bravo, because it didn't work with my plasma monitor. Overall, it gets a 1.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
Ok maybe .025, I had a couple of startup freezes, but the player seems to hv lost it's cold.

No way I would sell it.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Only seen about 6 hours of use.

Picture - 5

Dependability - 3 right now.

The rest - have to wait until I've spent more time with it (I'm pretty much limited to weekends).

BB

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have it hooked up to the 50" Sony GWII:

Video - 5++++ Best DVD pq I've ever seen.

Audio - 4.5 I've noticed no difference from my previous Sony NS755. I run it through the Onkyo 797.

Build quality - To me it doesn't seem much different that similarly priced players.

Remote Control - .5 - For $200 - Here's where they saved some money. Program it onto another RC the minute you open the package!!

Overall - 5 - When you're wife and kids attack you as you come through the door from work, to ask how you got the TV to look so good, you know it was money well spent. At $200 it was a STEAL!!!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Video- 0

Audio- 0

Build - 0

Remote - 0

Overall - 0

All because I cant even get my hans on one:mad:. But I will give a review once I find one. Anyone unhappy with thiers and want to give it a good home?

Flan

·
Registered
432 Posts
Video - 0 Will not work via DVI with a Pioneer 503 plasma (5002 card).

Audio - 1 You get what you pay for. Both CD and DVD were very unimpressive. I should have never thought that I could compare this to a Proceed PMDT.

Build Quality/Design/Functions - 1 Experienced problems w/ drawer mechanism, OSD guide thru the remote is terrible, would not synch to DTS encoded discs reliably.

Overall - 1

Mflangan you may want to check w/ Vinc. My return unit should be available.

marty

·
23,031 Posts
Interesting comments. Couple things: re 5002 card: It's not supposed

to work with the 5002, I believe. The 5002 is not HDCP compliant.

re sound: There were 2 comments about the sound quality, one

even mentioned DD and DTS. The D1 does not do DD or DTS audio decoding.

It just takes the bits off the disc and sends them out the digital output.

If the bits didn't make it off the disc intact, the audio change would

appear as "noise" or "pops", not some tonal quality change. If I'm

dreaming this up, will somebody please enlighten me.

larry

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PooperScooper
Interesting comments. Couple things: re 5002 card: It's not supposed

to work with the 5002, I believe. The 5002 is not HDCP compliant.
Not only that, but the 5002 doesn't support 720p or 1080i - only 480p and other PC resolutions.:rolleyes:

mfd, did you try 480p? I would have thought that this would work.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by djs
Not only that, but the 5002 doesn't support 720p or 1080i - only 480p and other PC resolutions.:rolleyes:

mfd, did you try 480p? I would have thought that this would work.
Or get new card for the Pioneer plasma.

·
Registered
432 Posts
djs,

Yes, the 480p does work. The resolution is 852x480 (dot for dot into the plasma). Although, the image does not fill the screen.

Not as good as my Proceed MDT w/ SDI output feeding a Key Digital Leeza and then DVI to the the 503. This is my current reference (outperforming a Vigatec 1280, Faroudja NRS).

PooperScooper,

As far as the audio goes, this is a very weak point with the D1. I do not encounter any problems with the digital output of the Proceed (CD, DVD DTS, DVD DD). So I figure something is not right with the D1.

marty

·
23,031 Posts
marty - I agree that the digital output may not make it out of the D1. :)

If it does, it should be no different from any other DVD player.

larry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.