Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just purchased the ratshack rf remote and am a little upset. First and foremost, the packaging listed Onkyo as one of the brands that it could control. However, when I opened the package up, it can only control a single Onkyo cd player. This is unfortunate as I have an Onkyo receiver. I am utterly amazed that the codes for Onkyo are completely left out, and yet some sub $100 receiver brands are in there. The other problem I have is the user manual. That thing is aweful! I know that the remote can do macros, but I have no idea how many.

Anyhow, it looks like I'll have to buy a jp1 cable and hopefully find the Onkyo codes somewhere. If anyone knows where I can find the Onkyo codes, I'd really appreciate it.

Russ

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mroll, I tried that out but the code was not programmed into the memory of the remote. It actually gave me an "invalid" message. I'm going to try to look into programming in the "advanced" codes from hifiremote.com

Russ

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
What model RS remote did you buy and what model Onkyo are you trying to operate. I have created a device (with the JP1 stuff) for my Onkyo 898 and the RS 15-1994 and 15-2116. If you need any specific help let me know.

Jay

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jay,

I'm not sure of the model number (it's on the back of my equipment which is buried in the equipment closet). The remote is the new rf remote 2117. You say you used the jp1 stuff to program the Onkyo codes? Was there a discrete power on/off by chance?

Thanks,

Russ

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
How is your range with this remote? Any issues?

I was thinking of picking up one or two of these instead of hard wiring my house for IR. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far the range is great. I have used it from outside my house in the backyard without problems. However, I would suggest visiting surfremotecontrol.com and picking up the One For All 9910 instead. It is basically the same remote except it has 3 things that the RS remote doesn't:

1) 3 macro keys. The RS remote requires that you program over an existing key for each macro

2) 4 learning buttons, once again RS remote requires programing over an existing key

3) Codes for my Onkyo! The RS remote, obviously does not.

Russ

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by russ fulks
You say you used the jp1 stuff to program the Onkyo codes? Was there a discrete power on/off by chance?
Yes. The original Onkyo remote also has discrete power on/off. I glad you are happy with the 9910. I personally didn't like the key layout and "feel" of the 9910. When combined with the JP1 the 2116 overcomes all or most of your objections. I think the ability to use the device keys for macros (like the 2116) is much more intuituve than using a "macro" key. Good luck.

Jay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.