AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of backing up the few (a whopping 5!) Blu-rays I own. I'm using ClownBD to rip out everything except the main movie, a single (best quality) soundtrack and any forced subtitles.

The Hangover and Iron Man were easy - there was only one option for the soundtrack (not counting any 2.0 tracks).

However, the 1st Narnia movie, the 2nd Harry Potter movie and the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie each have two options for the main audio track:

RAW/PCM 5.1 or AC3 EX 5.1 (Narnia is only AC3... not that it matters)

Are the RAW/PCM tracks HD audio? If I switch to those (when watching the disc in TMT3), I just get stereo sound. The discs default to the Dolby soundtracks if I don't make any changes. I am only using the TMT3 Platinum trial at the moment - I just built my HTPC and I'm seeing how it all works before I buy.

My receiver can decode TrueHD and DTS-HD, but I don't know what to do with the RAW/PCM tracks. Can anybody point me to a guide or something?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
i also got that with black hawk down. select the pcm lossless track. when i run my iso thru power dvd it defaults to dd, so i just switch to multichannel under language (kind of a pain) but thats how i do it...

wow, just noticed 1000 posts...( i need a life....)

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
In my GUI I convert RAW tracks to multi channel .WAV if you choose HD Audio in the options dialog. I think ClownBD has the same option.

Mike

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can convert it... but I would rather not. Crossing my fingers that Arcsoft will get the bitstreaming thing figured out for the Clarksdale chips.

I guess this is what we're all (or at least a lot of us) are chasing after...

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody777 /forum/post/18187373

I can convert it... but I would rather not. Crossing my fingers that Arcsoft will get the bitstreaming thing figured out for the Clarksdale chips.

I guess this is what we're all (or at least a lot of us) are chasing after...

My use of the word convert was not correct. The way I understand it, a WAV file is just a container for the raw PCM data. Eac3to demuxs the raw data from the stream and creates a wav file, there is no real encoding going on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_f...n_file_formats

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts