AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

So here is my Stealth 1099s Project. I wanted something with a high WAF factor but still sound good. I found a set of 1099s that @dwaleke was selling so I made the ten hour round trip to pick them up. They were in great shape, prebuilt, so it was well worth the trip.

So my plan was to heighten the side speakers so all the horns were at ear level of 32”. I used sand filled boxes on the bottom to do this. These things are a solid 150lbs a pop now, which is super overkill but they are solid. I then got Baltic Birch ply and layered the sides and added a lip that extended ¾” so I could install grills.

I found some ¾” metal stock and asked my friend to weld them together. So far we did the one as a test run and it works wonderfully. Unfortunately he did them so well after putting the material on I don’t think I would be able to get the thing out without destroying the fabric. I tried to cover the grill once and it came out poorly, but once I ripped it off and tried again, it came out perfect. Hot glue works wonders.

I painted the face of the boxes black so when looking through the grills it appears uniform. It also gives a great appearance with the grills off. I am looking forward to having the other two grills built and have them be done. I loved working on the project and am insanely happy with how they have turned out.

Picking them up was quite the journey!

Giving them a few days testing before ripping them apart.

Sanded them all down, nice and pretty.

Built wooden stands and added sand to deaden the up and add weight.

Glued the boxes on. Solid and extremely heavy now.

Got the skin put on. Starting to look good.

Added front piece for looks and to make them look more finished.

One grill done. Just had to add material. Wanted to see how one worked before building more.

Ready for paint!

All primed!

Painted and fronts painted black!

Reassembled and beautiful!

One grill down! Two to go!

And they are all done!

Hope you guys enjoyed the build, I know I did! Love the finished project. I will add pictures of the trio when they are all done!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great work Ryan the speakers look great! What's the xo point your putting on them to mix with the 18's.
You know I haven't really had the chance to play with them that much. Right now the 18's are crossed over at 120hz to get all that nearfield goodness. I will have to play with them some more to see what I like. I'm also dreading going to your house because I know I'm gunna want to build some VBSS or something to get some midbass madness going on.

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
Start at 80 and go up on the 1099's. I remember when I built dmans 1099's we played a few gun fighting movies and they sounded fantastic with all those guns going off the vocals from them were nice to. You going to have lots of fun playing different clips through them. They match your trim in your house to along with the entertainment center. I'm sure your wife is happy with the looks.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
You are my hero!

Increasing the size of the speaker to "stealth" it--and get away with it! Genius!

At 150 pounds, that makes it more permanent and it makes the center channel look smaller. All you need to do now is get a larger TV to make the center shrink in size. :D

I'm pondering using the 1099 myself--but my furniture allows 13" in height but only 30" in width. My options are to port it in the back to save about 3.5" in width or so and maybe angle the two 10's on the sides to make it 30" wide? The depth can be 22" so a possibility.

Have 9 months to figure it out, instead of making sawdust--figure it out with cardboard. Using two hemp 8's instead of 10's and put the slot ports on top of the 8's would make it fit--in a way.

Let us know how well the horizontal center images with your configuration, it is the sun in the solar system of surround. :cool:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Looks great. I sat on the fence for a really long time on those speakers, but am so glad you got them and created this. Great job!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Let us know how well the horizontal center images with your configuration, it is the sun in the solar system of surround. :cool:
So far running great! Having the heights match exactly I think really helps, things pan across the screen perfectly and it blends right in.

Looks great. I sat on the fence for a really long time on those speakers, but am so glad you got them and created this. Great job!
Yep they were a great deal! I use the Fusion 6's and the Volt 6's he threw in after giving them both quick paint jobs Those really sealed the deal!

Awesome job!
Thanks!

Great job. Loved the ingenuity of the joining base and speaker into one. Looks great.
Yea my goal in the end was to have a sleek looking speaker in the end and I think I nailed it!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Nice work those look great

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I'm aiming for an overkill stealth system and yours helped me realize that full hiding might not need to be 100% if the finish matches nicely

·
Registered
300 Posts
These look great! I was actually thinking of buying these exact speakers (great deal!) and doing something very similar. Like you, I was also planning on a stealth approach to sneak some very capable speakers into our main living room. I built some VBSS's into a TV stand and end table, and plan to go with a similar finish on the speakers--see attached pictures. I'm happy you beat me to these as they will serve as inspiration for my build whenever the time comes. The contrast of the black baffle against the white looks awesome and I'd be tempted to leave them naked without the grilles. Job well done! Did they pass the WAF test?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These look great! I was actually thinking of buying these exact speakers (great deal!) and doing something very similar. Like you, I was also planning on a stealth approach to sneak some very capable speakers into our main living room. I built some VBSS's into a TV stand and end table, and plan to go with a similar finish on the speakers--see attached pictures. I'm happy you beat me to these as they will serve as inspiration for my build whenever the time comes. The contrast of the black baffle against the white looks awesome and I'd be tempted to leave them naked without the grilles. Job well done! Did they pass the WAF test?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I loved your VBSSs I remember the build thread! I do really like the black baffle on white, it does look great. They did pass the WAF test, she likes them! The only thing she doesn't like is the sheer size of then. The towers are pretty massive. She wishes we had a bigger TV stand(Center Channel stand now I guess) that didn't get dwarfed by the speakers.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those look gorgeous, very well done! The only question I have is: shouldn't they have some insulation inside? Regardless, they look (and I'm sure they SOUND) fantastic. Great work.
Oh ya they are stuffed with the appropriate amount of polyfill and denim insulation! I took it all out for construction and painting! And thank you!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Those turned out dynamite. Every part of your build is brilliant. The added sand in the bases is great. The effect in your room is nice too.

I've been wondering how to ditch the milkcrates under my fusion 15s. I'm gonna have to copy your speaker "stands". Mine will be without the nice finish since I hide mine behind an at screen.

Looking foward to pics with the L and R grills done. They look pretty cool with their grills off too.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update time! First thanks for all the compliments! They turned out really well and I am super happy with them. My friend came over and finished the other two frames and I finished them up today. I am super happy with the end result. Now to rerun Audyssey and enjoy!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts