AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad139 /forum/post/0

I picked up Red Steel today with my son before they were gone! What a deal!!

Already picked up Rayman for my son at $39.00 so will have to pass on that one. Let me know how Red Steel is if you have a chance. IGN was not kind to this game giving it a 6 out of 10.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I watched him play for about 20 minutes last night as he progressed. The game looks pretty cool, although I'm certainly not a shooter/fighter-game expert. My son is definitely more of a Madden & Excite Truck player, but he seems to like it. I'll try to get more details from him if he plays it today (if he doesn't, then that tells me something too).

·
Registered
453 Posts
I got the feedback direct from my son on Red Steel after he played it for another couple hours today (again, remember, this is the first game in this genre that we've bought for Wii).

He said the game was more fun than he thought it would be. It is challenging, but not so hard that he can't seem to progress through the tasks. The ability to master tasks as you progress is key, but there's still enough fighting & action to keep things moving along.

Since we typically buy other Nintendo-oriented games (sports, driving, Zelda, Nintendo-character-battle), it is hard to compare. We did buy two Bond games for GameCube, and I would say this game is pretty close to them, with the advantage of having the Wiimote.

I'm not sure why joekun says "I would call 6/10 kind for Red Steel". Have you encountered any problems with the game or just think another in the genre is superior? If there is another game, I'd like to know & maybe, we'll get that for his birthday.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts

Quote:
I'm not sure why joekun says "I would call 6/10 kind for Red Steel". Have you encountered any problems with the game or just think another in the genre is superior? If there is another game, I'd like to know & maybe, we'll get that for his birthday.

It has to do with the controls. Personally I find the game entirely unplayable. I rented it, tried it for a little while and then sent it back. If you enjoy it that's great and $30 makes it a much better value, but for me the controls are so bad that I wouldn't even rate it 6/10.

It's been written that Call of Duty 3 and Far Cry have much better first-person controls on the Wii, though my COD3 playtime was too short to say and I haven't played Far Cry at all.

Being entirely candid though, I'm not sure that I would play through Red Steel if it was given to me (entirely because of the controls). No offense to anyone who likes it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I had to buy Red Steel because my nephew called me out of the blue a few weeks before Christmas and said "Have you heard anything about this game called Red Steel? It looks pretty good." (Hint Hint)

Ugh......

So I bought it knowing it was a subpar, and boy was I overestimating the quality of the game. It's rushed, ugly, clunky, and buggy. Circuit City would have to pay me $20 before I'd add that waste of plastic to my collection.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I guess I'll update my post as my son continues his Red Steel play then. I'm not going to proclaim its the greatest game ever, or anything like that... Simply, no issues yet with any bugs, or the quality of the game itself. Hopefully, it will stay that way!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Red Steel would have benefited from more development time. The controls glitch out from time to time along with some chop. The glitches are not due to the Wii hardware as other games play great. I think the graphics are sub-GameCube. It isn't a horrible game, just needs more work. Also, the audio is pretty good.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Grrr....it is only in-store...I have a $50 GC for CC, but our nearest one is 70 miles away!

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
I tried to buy this today as well... Rayman that is. But it is not available ay any stores no matter what zip code I type in... Ohio, Indiana, Texas, etc. I tried to rpicematch at Best Buy and they said "No, the store has to have it available for us to price match it." So, that stinks. Oh well, thanks for the heads up. If I had been quicker, I would have Rayman now.

·
Registered
453 Posts
reaper -- Did you call any of the stores? The web-info for CC said that none of the stores had Red Steel, but when I called, both of the stores DID actually have it in stock. You may want to give them a call to confirm.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes, most def call them or stop in if they're close to you it's very possible they do have them in stock. I know that countless times the CC online stock checker never reflected what I found in-store. Good luck!

·
Registered
230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad139 /forum/post/0

reaper -- Did you call any of the stores? The web-info for CC said that none of the stores had Red Steel, but when I called, both of the stores DID actually have it in stock. You may want to give them a call to confirm.

Yep, that's exactly what happened to me. Give 'em a call, they probably have it.

·
Registered
868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper /forum/post/0

I tried to buy this today as well... Rayman that is. But it is not available ay any stores no matter what zip code I type in... Ohio, Indiana, Texas, etc. I tried to rpicematch at Best Buy and they said "No, the store has to have it available for us to price match it." So, that stinks. Oh well, thanks for the heads up. If I had been quicker, I would have Rayman now.

Yeah, what nomad139 said; like you, I did a online zip code search for Rayman...all stores in my area came up empty. I went to my local CC to go pick up a flyer so that I could PM at BB (yeah I know BB can just go online and check CC website to verify but I figured that w/ the flyer I'd save them the time and trouble of doing so)...decided to go inside and check for myself just for grins...and found that there were five copies of Rayman available. The irony of all this is that even though my local CC had copies of Rayman, they had no copies of the week's flyer that they usually put out right inside the entrance...go figure!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Apparently it can't be bought online or in-store pickup and all circuit cities near me say nne available. Sigh. Most people say rayman is worth $30, but not $50 so this would be nice to have it at this price.

·
Registered
868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHERS33 /forum/post/0

Apparently it can't be bought online or in-store pickup and all circuit cities near me say nne available. Sigh. Most people say rayman is worth $30, but not $50 so this would be nice to have it at this price.

Not to insult your intelligence or insinuate that you're lazy or anything like that, but...I assume you physically went to your local CC store(s) just to make sure? I discovered the same thing you did, but as I described in my previous post, I did find a few copies at the store itself. Also, you could just grab the CC flyer at a store near you and just pricematch at BB or Walmart (I would have also added Target but apparently Target no longer pricematches)...

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Actually my intelligence should be insulted for a different reason. i was thinking this was for the Wario game, not Rayman. I got mixed up. I was wondering why a new game would be on sale.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.