Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all,

I have added an ndh2 filter to my new optoma h57 and I see RBE much less, ("Dark City" was virtually unwatchable before for me) I have just been using the matte-white wall but am thinking of getting a screen. If I go to a High Power, will the RBE get worse again. The image lost a bit of it's punch with the filter.

And would a HCMW be too dark with the filter?

Thanx! D

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
How big of an image are you throwing? The picture will be brighter with the High Power if you are table mounted and it could show more rainbows.

I'm using the 4805 with a 92" HCMW with ND2 filter and it looks great with around 1000 hr bulb life. I took the nd2 filter off recently to test and whites where way too bright still.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll probably be going 92". I just read Guitarman's Optoma graywolf thread. Sounds interesting. Might just get that and sell the filter. :) d

·
Registered
30 Posts
After debating for 8 months which screen to pair with my 7205, I finally pulled the trigger on the Graywolf by Optoma, after reading some reviews of it here on the forum.

I had sampled several different screen materials: Vutec Silverstar, Stewart Firehawk, Carada BW and HC Gray, and the Da-lite HCCV, and each of them had strengths, but also some weaknesses. I could not justify spending almost $2,000 on either the Firehawk or the Silverstar because they were imperfect screens IMO.

The Da-lite HCCV was too muddy and the Carada Gray was even muddier than the Da-lite as far as "affordable" screens.

I am for the most part very happy with the performance of the Graywolf for the money (I bought it at my local Best Buy for much less than MSRP).

My 7205 is plenty bright as is, and I have a ND2 filter attached which gives me a luminance in the 15 footlambert range. Without the filter, it is pumped up to around 30. Now with the Graywolf screen rated at 1.8, I have the option of watching at either 27 footlamberts or 54 (for more of a plasma look).

The Graywolf, for the most part, looks quite good. The blacks are deep as heck, and the contrast range is outstanding, that is, as long as you are sitting only as wide as the screen is. The viewing cone on this screen has a drop off similar to the Firehawk laterally, but because it is also retro-reflective, it really does suffer from ceiling-mounted projectors. I found myself wanting to stand up in the back against the wall because the image looked so good from up there, as opposed to sitting.

But, that can be circumvented by taking off the ND2 filter from the 7205. In doing so, I was able to recapture much of the brightness again.

I would say if you like the look of the Firehawk, but cannot afford the price, and you can table mount a projector like the 7205 or the like, I would highly recommend this cost-effective solution to improving your black level and contrast until a screen comes out that is closer to perfection, truly warranting an expenditure of $2,000 and up.

Just my 2 cents!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.