AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I inherited these speakers from someone that couldnt get any sound out of them, after opening them up, I realized why...

I pulled the woofers out of both speakers and tested them with a 9V battery, no movement at all. I also connected them directly to the speaker connection coming from the amp, nothing. So I assume both woofers are blown. Im trying to identify the woofers so I can buy replacements, They say '91A' on the top face of the speaker and 'C7' on the bottom face. and the number 6279 is printed on the frame. Can anyone recommend a brand I can replace them with? Im posting pics for possible ID of the woofers... Also, can anyone tell me what size they would be considered? I dont know where the measurement is taken, on the frame or the cone itself?

The tweeters seem fine...

I certainly have a blown component on one of the crossovers, the plastic looks like it heated up to the point of melting, its the purple capacitor (?) in the pic attached, I did some searching for the numbers on the capacitor (6uF 100V) and they seem to be available online at various speaker parts retailers. Am I ok just picking up one and replacing it, should I look out for anything specific? I know the one thats installed there is branded RBH, but assume they're interchangeable?

The cabinets are in great shape, speakers are bi-amp capable, so I think it would be worth replacing a few components to get them working again...

Thanks in advance for any advice you all can give!

·
Registered
12 Posts
jon539, sounds like you're in need of some replacement 4-inch drivers and some crossover components. While the crossover components can be replaced with generic components, I wouldn't recommend it, since we manufacture low tolerance components for optimum sound quality. Also, the 4-inch aluminum cone drivers are proprietary, so there's nowhere else you'll be able to get them. I'll PM you and we'll see if we can get you up and running again without any hassles!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch Daren, Ive already spoken to someone at your office and my order is placed for 2 replacement woofers and a replacement cap. Excellent customer service. It's great that RBH stands behind its products and offers such personalized customer service even so long after the product is out of warranty. Can't wait to hear how they sound!

Thanks to everyone there...

Jonathan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts