AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently discovered that RBH's manufacturing facility is just a few miles from my work. I stopped by and talked to a rep that said I could buy B stock from them for half off MSRP. Meaning, I could get a S-12 for $350 or and SX-12 for $550. My question is how would these subs at this price compare to what I have previously been expecting to buy, a HSU STF-2 or SVS PB1000?

I can't find a whole lot of reviews or opinions on how these perform. There is a review on the SX-12 by audioholics, but their review doesn't give me any point of references as to how they compare to other items on the market, in particular around the price range I would be able to get it for.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking at the SX-12, you might compare it with the $650 Outlaw LFM-1 EX (since replaced by the Ultra X-12):
http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/lfm-1-ex-review
The most obvious difference is the low frequency extension.

I'm starting to believe that there really isn't that much to be had below 30 anyway. Maybe I am mistaken, but it seems like most of the media will be above that.

I don't know how much of it is marketing vs truth, but the guy at RBH said that they tent to be less "aggressive" with their frequency responses than most manufacturers. They would rather the sub not go quite as low, but always produce a great sound when it is in use than to potentially sound bad or distort.

That's not a bad sub at all, enough for me, if it compares to the outlaw. I certainly prefer the price point of the S-12 at $350, though. Where would that stack up?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Subwoofer selection depends upon room volume, whether your room is closed off to other rooms or open, how loudly you listen to your media and whether it is mostly for music or mostly for movies.

RBH makes high quality (and expensive) speakers as well, but I haven't heard much about their subwoofers. The price on the SX-12 seems very good, but whether it is any better their counterparts at this price, I would have no idea.

For most music (except synthesizers and pipe organs), 30 Hz is probably fine. Movie LFE, on the other hand, will reach well below 20 Hz.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The room is about 14'3"x18'6"x7'6" with an 8' arch on one of the 14'3" walls that opens into the basement rec room. At most there is a curtain there, but I do still have 4 solid corners.

Right now I don't have a sub, but 2xEnergy RC-70, RC-LCR, and 2xRC-10 on a Denon AVR-X2000.

I knowIi probably need more to be at the level most of your guys would suggest, but I'm pretty limited for home theater budget after getting everything else (not funds, just allowed expence) and want more than I getting.

I've attatched a mockup of the room I did when contemplating seating. There is no subwoofer as pictured, but the room is the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
The room is about 14'3"x18'6"x7'6" with an 8' arch on one of the 14'3" walls that opens into the basement rec room. At most there is a curtain there, but I do still have 4 solid corners.

Right now I don't have a sub, but 2xEnergy RC-70, RC-LCR, and 2xRC-10 on a Denon AVR-X2000.

I knowIi probably need more to be at the level most of your guys would suggest, but I'm pretty limited for home theater budget after getting everything else (not funds, just allowed expence) and want more than I getting.

I've attatched a mockup of the room I did when contemplating seating. There is no subwoofer as pictured, but the room is the same.
Because you have such a wide seating area, one sub will not give you smooth, even bass at every seating position (I suspect the corner seating positions may be a nightmare). I doubt two subs will, but two may be able to cover most of the area. It's good that you only have one opening, but it's fairly large and will effect the output needed to give you impressive, room-shaking bass for subs in the $300 to $500 price range.

If it were me, I'd be looking at two S-12s (if you're going to go with RBH). If RBH's reputation for speakers spills over to their subwoofers (they too get very expensive -- up to around 5 grand), then I believe you'll have an impressive setup for movies and music (but won't realize much of the under 30 Hz frequencies). Obviously, two PB-1000s (or equivalent) will provide bass to just under 20 Hz, but may or may not lack the upper bass slam. You'd have to try it out (but I'm sure you know you can send it back on SVS's dime if not impressed).

Reactions: Alan P

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Because you have such a wide seating area, one sub will not give you smooth, even bass at every seating position (I suspect the corner seating positions may be a nightmare). I doubt two subs will, but two may be able to cover most of the area. It's good that you only have one opening, but it's fairly large and will effect the output needed to give you impressive, room-shaking bass for subs in the $300 to $500 price range.

If it were me, I'd be looking at two S-12s (if you're going to go with RBH). If RBH's reputation for speakers spills over to their subwoofers (they too get very expensive -- up to around 5 grand), then I believe you'll have an impressive setup for movies and music (but won't realize much of the under 30 Hz frequencies). Obviously, two PB-1000s (or equivalent) will provide bass to just under 20 Hz, but may or may not lack the upper bass slam. You'd have to try it out (but I'm sure you know you can send it back on SVS's dime if not impressed).
I know this would be a completely different rout, but would be more financially doable. If I need multiple subs, what about doing something as simple and cheap as the Dayton 1200, but having a couple of them over one of the S-12s, or PB1000s? Would the coverage out weigh the quality, or no?

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I know this would be a completely different rout, but would be more financially doable. If I need multiple subs, what about doing something as simple and cheap as the Dayton 1200, but having a couple of them over one of the S-12s, or PB1000s? Would the coverage out weigh the quality, or no?
Dayton subs are good budget models (and are frequently recommend for people with tight budgets), but won't have the quality of either the RBH or SVS. Then again, one can't expect a $100 to $140 sub to perform at those levels. Only you can decide which way is right for you, knowing two subs will have a better chance of filling more seats with smooth bass. If it were me, I'd get the best sub one can afford for right now, then add a second identical sub when funds become available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.