AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just want to say that I have been reading these boards for quite some time and I am overwhemled with the help and knowledge that these boards supply.

Anyway here is my pickle that I am in, I recenlty purchased an Energy RC-LCR which will be arriving to today and also bought a pair of RC-50's(left/right channel) from a retailer online but I just got a call saying that they do not have any in stock and I cannot find another decent price for the 50's anywhere really in Rosenut that matched the price I bought my orinigal RC-50's from. The online retailer told me that he would sell me some Dynaudio Audience 62's for no extra price. He also told me that the Audience 62's were a better speaker, not sure if I believe that. I want to match my front sound stage, I dont want to go mixing my center Energy RC-LCR with those 62's. My question to you guys is do you think that those 62's are a better speaker than the RC-50's and if I did recieve those how would it "match" up with my RC-LCR.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedz /forum/post/17012739

Hey guys, just want to say that I have been reading these boards for quite some time and I am overwhemled with the help and knowledge that these boards supply.

Anyway here is my pickle that I am in, I recenlty purchased an Energy RC-LCR which will be arriving to today and also bought a pair of RC-50's(left/right channel) from a retailer online but I just got a call saying that they do not have any in stock and I cannot find another decent price for the 50's anywhere really in Rosenut that matched the price I bought my orinigal RC-50's from. The online retailer told me that he would sell me some Dynaudio Audience 62's for no extra price. He also told me that the Audience 62's were a better speaker, not sure if I believe that. I want to match my front sound stage, I dont want to go mixing my center Energy RC-LCR with those 62's. My question to you guys is do you think that those 62's are a better speaker than the RC-50's and if I did recieve those how would it "match" up with my RC-LCR.

Thanks

Dynaudios are great speakers. I like mine very much but you should match your fronts.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Oh my goodness. Dynaudio.

But I also agree with the above poster that matching the fronts is also a concern.

Also, speakers are subjective, but it sounds like you're getting a deal on the dyns, and I'd jump at that. If you're big on music and detail, Dynaudio all day long.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Dynaudio are the better speaker. As the others have stated you don't want to mix the front soundstage. I might suggest Using the Dynaudio as mains without a center. Then buy a second RC-LCR and use the as surrounds so that you are running a 4.1. Or maybe move the LCR to to a back surround position if you already have surrounds bought.

·
Registered
30,146 Posts

Quote:
Oh my goodness. Dynaudio.
Quote:
The Dynaudio are the better speaker.

Out of curiosity (not challenging you) why do you guys say this with such certainty? Have you heard them both?

The Dynaudio Audience 62's and the Energy RC-50's have a very similar msrp, both come from very reputable manufacturers with excellent history.

According to the specs, the Energy's are larger, significantly heavier (23.2kg vs 13.6kg each), have better bass extension (33Hz -3dB vs 45Hz) and dual 6.5" woofers (instead of one), are more efficient (91dB vs 86dB) and are an easier load to drive (8-ohm vs 4-ohm nominal rating). They both seem to have nice build, good reps, and nice real-wood veneers.

It seems like two very competitive tower speakers in the $1500-ish msrp range, and the specs on the Energy are better. So, again, not disagreeing with you (as I haven't heard the Dynaudios) but what's with the utter certainty?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't know about the RC-50's but I always thought that the 62's sounded less impressive than the 60's, which was disappointing. I felt that the 62's mid bass was lacking compared to the 60's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well guys thanks for all of the advice, I talked the company and I got one hell of a deal I must say. For the mixup and confusion the guy offered me a pair of Cherry RC-70's for 50 dollars extra (shipping cost) so to make a long story short I paid 600 dollars for a pair of RC-70's.

·
Registered
28,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedz /forum/post/17015122

Well guys thanks for all of the advice, I talked the company and I got one hell of a deal I must say. For the mixup and confusion the guy offered me a pair of Cherry RC-70's for 50 dollars extra (shipping cost) so to make a long story short I paid 600 dollars for a pair of RC-70's.

That's awesome!!!!

You're okay with the rosenut center and cherry RC-70s? I would be...

Or course Vanns does have the RC-LCR in cherry...
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

If your rosenut center is coming today, you can always return it.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/17014475

Out of curiosity (not challenging you) why do you guys say this with such certainty? Have you heard them both?

The Dynaudio Audience 62's and the Energy RC-50's have a very similar msrp, both come from very reputable manufacturers with excellent history.

According to the specs, the Energy's are larger, significantly heavier (23.2kg vs 13.6kg each), have better bass extension (33Hz -3dB vs 45Hz) and dual 6.5" woofers (instead of one), are more efficient (91dB vs 86dB) and are an easier load to drive (8-ohm vs 4-ohm nominal rating). They both seem to have nice build, good reps, and nice real-wood veneers.

It seems like two very competitive tower speakers in the $1500-ish msrp range, and the specs on the Energy are better. So, again, not disagreeing with you (as I haven't heard the Dynaudios) but what's with the utter certainty?

I'm a Dynaudio fanboy.

No but seriously, I've heard a lot of speakers in my time on earth. Lots and lots. Energy makes nice stuff, but IMO not really that comparable. Dynaudio's drivers are amazing, and their imaging is particularly second to none. While they're great for HT too, it's music where they really shine with detail.

But as I said, speakers are a preference thing, and sometimes you need more dynamics, or you prefer a more forward presentation, or whatnot, which is why listening is really the only way to decide.

And note of disclosure, Dynaudios are among the various speakers I own, they are the mains in my system.

But sounds like an ever better deal was had on the energies.

As for specs, specs are interesting, but they don't really tell you anything about what a speaker sounds like unless you have a full plethora of measurements. The simple specs you cite tell you nothing. The dyns are not easy to drive, which is a valid concern for some people if you need significant SPL. As for bass extension, you will rarely if ever hear a small woofer plumb the depths as deep and as tightly as a dynaudio woofer, despite what the specs say.

My mains are stand-mounted 2-ways with that woofer size, and you'd be astonished how many people still SWEAR my giant SVS subwoofer in the corner is banging away until I unplug it from the wall as proof that only the mains are playing. Somewhat funny actually!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts