AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RCA's MM36100 and the 36110 seem very similar on their website, and both appear to work best when used with the DTC100 set-top box. Anyone know the REAL difference?

Thanks!

Dave W.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I believe the main functional difference is that the 36110 can process the output from a progressive scan source, but someone correct me if I'm utny-ing, here.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The only differance outside of the appearance of the cabinet is, the 36MM110 accecepts progressive signal via component and the 36MM100 does not.

IMO go with the 36MM110, the price is below $1600.00 and not to mention that it is the newer of the two.

I own a MM36110 paired with DTC-100 and have enjoyed watching HD as well as DVD's.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your replies. You have confirmed what I was beginning to believe. I bought a 36100 and it was delivered dead out of the box, so I returned it to the dealer for repairs. Now I find out that the progressive scan DVD I was to get with the deal will not work on this model! (It will on the 36110.) The dealer still is waiting for parts so he already has the unit. I plan on notifying him today that I am exercising my 30 day return option.

Thanks again!

Dave W.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dave2297:
I bought a 36100 and it was delivered dead out of the box...
RCA's reliability is another issue that kept me from buying a 36100. Yours isn't the first report about it, but it is the first one I've seen regarding a unit DOA. Hopefully the 36110s have those problems behind them, but I'll probably hold off a while longer.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, here's a new wrinkle to the story. Before I left to go to the store, the manager called to report that the required parts were on back-order!

This 3 weeks after I got the set. I think it may be some time before I consider RCA again. So now I guess I can brave the electronics world again shopping for a new set.

Dave W.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Dave:

You may want to consider a Hitachi 36SDX01S. It is very similar to the RCA's. It has two SVGA (RGB) inputs, a progressive scan component input (which I use with a Toshiba SD-5109), and the option (on component input) to squeeze the vertical height for anamorphic ("enhanced for wide screen") DVDs. I have an RCA DTC-100 DirecTV/OTA set top box and it works flawlessly with the Hitachi TV.

BTW, I often work in Englewood and Littleton and visit the AV stores in the evenings when I get a chance. Sound Advice carries the non-HD ready 36 inch Hitachi but I haven't seen the HD-ready set on display (at the store on County Line Road near I-25). The non-HD set looks identical to the HD set cosmetically, but the HD set has the higher pixel density picture tube and a built in line doubler for NTSC OTA, S-video inputs and composite video inputs. Last I heard, the RCA sets did NOT have internal line doublers.

[This message has been edited by Budget_HT (edited 04-23-2001).]

·
Registered
256 Posts
Budget_HT,

I have just recently purchased an RCA MM32110 and mated it with an Iscan Pro. Yes you are correct that it has no built-in doubler but for me this was a major advantage as the Iscan Pro has a far superior doubler to anything currently available in 4:3 or 16:9 directview televisions.

To do the anamorphic squeeze takes all of 30 seconds in the service menu (but has to be done manually each time) but with HDTV once set up, it can do it automatically every time (although I do not have HDTV yet)

It does make it an expensive 4:3 most definitely (although not a huge premium over a Sony 32XBR400) but the combination of much higher resolution than an XBR400 or Panasonic 3XHX40 for example coupled with better performance on NTSC sources made it all worthwhile. It really depends if someone can put up with the limitations of the current batch of doublers in the directviews. At the moment, they vary from mediocre to reasonably good but a long way off the Iscan Pro. I could not thus I went the route of the RCA and Iscan.

Peter

[This message has been edited by PeterG (edited 04-23-2001).]

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Peter:

Sounds like I need to go look at an Iscan Pro in action. The good news is that we have a reasonable number of options to choose from.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.