AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the boards but have picked some good information. I know the F38310 is small compared to most of the systems here, but I've seen some posts on it.

I am considering buying the RCA F38310. I do have some concerns. If anyone would give me some feedback it would be much appreciated.

1. I have had Sonys in the past,(newest is about 15 years old)do the RCA's hold up well and hold the picture quality?

2. The F38310 doesn't show up on the RCA web site unless you search for it by model #. Does anyone know if it is being discontinued? Are they coming out with a new model? Flatscreen?

3. The tuner is built in. That's great for me, I have DirecTV now. DO the newer STB units offer much that you are missing? (I know you can not attach one)

4. Am I worrying too much about HDCP and the lack of a Firewire connection as far as not getting a HD signal sometime soon?

Thank you for the help.

------------------

"just another Joe"

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had this TV now for about 2 months. My last TV was a Sony. The biggest drawback with this TV is that SD or NTSC pictures look terrible. HD sources look awesome but when viewing standard video from Tivo, NTSC broadcasts or VHS the picture looks too soft or blurry even when the sharpness is turned up. I think the problem has to do with the internal line doubler and low-res sources. For the price you can't beat this TV but I think you have to consider what type of video source you will be watching.

------------------

-Jeff

RCA F38310 HDTV

2-DSR6000r TIVO 98hr/66hr

1-GXCEB0T TIVO 66hr

1-HDR212 TIVO 20hr

HK AVR75

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bought one today. Expect delivery next week. Refurbished unit was $2k. Didn't want to invest heavily in rapidly changing technology.

Dana

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have seen this TV many, many times in action, although I don't own one.

The F38310 has a great picture for HDTV, and Progressive DVD. I've never watched NTSC through it, so I can't comment on that.

The only real weakness I have seen with the TV is the lack of a video output. That makes it more difficult to use something like a PVR with it.

Fortunately with the new line of PVR's with built in satellite receivers, this isn't a problem anymore, and you can expect much better picture quality, and recording time out of the DirecTV PVR's.

I have not heard that RCA is stopping production on this TV, but I have heard that they will be offering 2 flat screen models in 38", and 34" varieties under their new Scenium brand.

I personally own a Mitsubishi 46805 HDTV, and I think the Mitsubishi is the better all around HDTV, but the benefits of a Direct View TV are obvious, and a built-in HD receiver saves you some money.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have had my RCA F38310 since March 31, 2001. I wanted the direct tube for I put it into a glass room with a lot of light which would not support a RPHDTV. At night the picture is wonderful. During the day the picture (non HD)is not nearly as good as the Sony 32XBR250 it replaced. I received the progressive scan RCA DVD player as a bonus with the set and I have to say that most of the time when watching DVD's I watch them on the Sony with a Toshiba DVD player. DVD picture is better on the Sony for the Sony displays over 760 lines of resolution by concentrating the scan lines in the middle of the screen.

I do not like the fan noises on the RCA and the long amount of time to switch channels. Plus you can only do picture in picture with TV and VCR input. Cannot do picture in picture with Direct input. Also swapping picture in picture is extremely slow. When going to the direct guide it takes a long time to display upcoming events three to eight hours later. Always saying acquiring directory.

Even though I think for a lighted room the overall picture is great and watching HDNET the picture is incredible. So far I do not have any HD TV stations broadcasting in the Oklahoma City Area. KFOR (NBC) can but does not bring up there transmitter for they say there is not enough customers to get advertisement to pay for the $300 per hour transmission cost.

If buying today for the price I would again buy the RCA 38 inch set over the other brands 34 inch sets. If buying for a room that is fairly dark I would look at the RP new 57" Toshiba widescreen, Hitachi 53SWX10B widescreen, etc.

Bottom line is you get a lot for the money with the RCA 38" set and I have not notice any problems with the picture I receive from local cable, DIRECT input, Sony S-VHS SAT60 input, JVC S-VHS input or RCA progressive scan DVD input.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
For HD, to my eyes the RCA 38310 is slightly better than the widescreen Sony and Panasonic direct views, though the widescreen Sony has slightly stronger color. I think this RCA set is the best bang for the buck right now, though a lot of people have gotten buggy 38310's.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator, DirecTV + 128 hour SVR-2000 TiVo

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile
It's not HD. It's HBO.
s>

·
Registered
111 Posts
There has been a lot of discusion on this forum WRT the 38310. Do a search.

I have one. In short it is a good set but has some quality and design problems, e.g., a fan that runs 24/7, squeezed image at the edges (not normally obvious), and lack of shadow detail (low gamma).

I disagree about the "soft picture" for NTSC and SD transmissions. It is soft, but I would say that the 38310 is faithfully reproducing the low resolution of the source, sort of like listening to an old 78 record played on a modern hi-fi system. You are very aware of what the recording is missing.

Still, overall the image has good punch and the size is significantly larger than the 34" widescreen sets - the height of the 38310 is the same as a 32" 4:3 set while height of the widescreen 34" sets is about that of a 27" 4:3.

It is a good value, but take the effort to compare the 38310 and the various 34" widescreens at a dealer that feeds them a good HD source signal.

Frank

[This message has been edited by fludolph (edited 09-21-2001).]

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I must say that I disagree with the postings here on the picture quality of the 38" RCA vs. the various 34" sets. I have sampled them all, adjusting the settings to equalize them as best as could be done and the RCA just doesn't have the sharpness and color that all of the 34" sets have. Also, the distortion of the curved tube is disturbing. The RCA does have a larger picture and is cheaper, but that was not enough for me. I prefer quality over quantity. Plus the RCA quality control issue is a large concern as well. I would look at the various 34" sets side by side with the RCA using all HDTV, DVD and cable and let your eyes be the judge. I was watching HDNET on the RCA, the Panasonic, Sony and Philips 34" and all the 34" sets had far superior picture quality. Much clearer picture, more 3-D. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, the defects were noticeable from day one. There was a significant color problem in the lower left corner that would show up when displaying large areas of a solid color (yellow and blue mostly). Video essentials or AVIA has a yellow field that can show this. It looks like the set couldn't complete degaussing or something.

Be sure to avoid the units with a model number prior to F38310JX4 as they were the ones with the recalled tubes. The number should be printed on the left side of the set, near the front video inputs.

This set is VERY heavy. Be sure your shipper can handle it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have had my RCA 38310 since the first of April and love it. Maybe lucky (knock of wood) but have had no trouble. As for the fan running, I guess after 20 years of being in a rock band and a little trouble hearing, I don't notice the fan.

I have a second DirecTV box feeding my Tivo and into one of the inputs. Use the free DVD player that I received for buying this HDTV. Receiving local HDTV using a small OTA antenna.

Don

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by davegust:

Be sure to avoid the units with a model number prior to F38310JX4 <snip> This set is VERY heavy. Be sure your shipper can handle it.
Thanks for the solid info davegust.

Heavy? You know half of it. I might bring one for me and one for a customer.

------------------

Pablo Roufogalis L.

[email protected]
http://www.aretecnica.com/fampg.htm

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your comments. I hope to get one soon.

I have looked at the picture on the F38310, at times think that it is great and the next time I look, in a different store it does not look so good. There seems to be a lot of difference in the quality of the analog feed in the stores.

I have noticed the "bowing", but it doesn't show all the time.

The 4:3 picture does suffer when you use the "full" mode, the "fill" mode looks better even though it is stretched.

Due the comments here, I'm getting the extended warranty.

thanks again,

------------------

"just another Joe"

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again to the people who replied.

I am very happy so far with the RCA. I had the dish pointed for the HD signal and picture, there is only one word for this -"WOW"!

Watching DVDs is a real treat also, the picture really grabs you.

The analog off of the Directv dish really varies in picture quality. I try to watch the 4:3 pictures in the full mode, retaining the height and width ratio and giving up the top and bottom of the screen. It enlarges the picture the most, so if the picture wasn't very good to start with, it can only look worse when enlarged.

I have not seen the bowing of lines that have mentioned due to the tube curve but I'm looking pretty much straight on.

The fan noise is not a problem at the moment. I know it's there during real quite scenes but it does not bother me.

As far as OTA, I still have not got one yet, we will see, I would like to receive more HD content.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph15
Thanks again to the people who replied.

I am very happy so far with the RCA. I had the dish pointed for the HD signal and picture, there is only one word for this -"WOW"!
I have to say, my F38310 has been great! Getting the dish set up has been quite frustrating. Hopefully I will receive a new switch soon so that I might see HD HBO and HDnet. Hope it comes before Band of Brothers ends. The OTA HDTV here in LA looks fantastic! The 1080i on some networks and 720p on ABC looks great! Hell, I even think that FOX looks good at 480p! DVD's-awesome!!

Then again anything would look good to me at this point considering my last TV was a 20" JVC from 10 years ago!

Steve

·
Registered
832 Posts
The 38310's that i have seen looked fairly good. I have heard of power supply problems with these sets however.

Frankly i don't see how the RCA can equal the Sony's resolution

even if it has a small beam spot size.

The RCA's resolution is limited by its shadowmask. The Sony doesn't have a shadowmask it has an aperture grill.

The Sony's resolution is determined by its beam spot size only.

I would think the Sony would have more visible horizontal lines

(vertical resolution).

Correct me if my logic is wrong in this regard.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
b4z,

The Sony's probably only have 900 vertical lines of horizontal resolution where the RCA has 1280. Sony isn't even listing the horizontal resolution of its 34" & 40" sets on its web site. Not a good sign!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.