AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was ready to buy the Samsung HLN617, but then heard about the 60 inch RCA's. Haven't seen one yet. Any thoughts on waiting for the RCA or just the Samsung.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
It's very hard to say since I don't think a lot of us has seen the RCA yet. They are playing a strategy of actually undercutting the Sammy price while including an OTA tuner. The one review I saw in S&V was reasonably positive (it certainly is a snazzy looking set) but I didn't like what it said about the poor support for different aspect ratios. The basic message was that you needed a DVD player that had aspect control since the set would not help you out in that regard. May not be a problem for everyone.

I would expect the PQ to be comparable in either case unless RCA has done something special to improve contrast ratios or SD filtering. I do remember the review saying that the "blacks" were rendered as "dark grays" on the set. This type of thing is fairly common with all of the fixed-pixel RP display types like DLP, LCD, and LCoS. Better on some. Worse on others. I think the Sammys if set up right can give you good blacks. Same with the Toshiba LCoS. Same with Optoma DLPs.

The one thing that would continue to lead me toward the Samsung is that they have accumulated enough battle scars that they are getting things right, or at least better. They have also shown some good support in terms of bringing those improvements to current owners. A lot of buy in and commitment to the technology which I think translates into long-term support. Will the same be true for RCA? No one knows yet.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BTDT
Looks positive at least on the first page. I may read further on this myself....
Neil never did the promised review. There was a big battle about RCA using old CRT based chips and not allowing 720p input for anything other than their tuner. DVI doesn't support 720p and the set forces an analog stage for all inputs other than their tuner. It sounds like they cut corners to get to market but still don't have sets in distribution channels.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Hmm. This confirms the odd sense of under-engineering I got when reading about this set. Obviously they aren't designing these things for videophiles, and are instead target a bunch of people who just won't know any better!

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BTDT
Hmm. This confirms the odd sense of under-engineering I got when reading about this set. Obviously they aren't designing these things for videophiles, and are instead target a bunch of people who just won't know any better!
That business model has done wonders for RCA's bottom line. Then they do even better by not supporting what they build.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
RCA's bottom line is in the red. They are laying off over 1000 people in the US and are looking for a Chinese partner to help them produce consumer electronics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.