AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older Sony 2.0 stereo speaker system. It has an optical audio out. The tv doesnt recognize it. Guessing because its out? I wish to hook it up to a newer lg TV using optical audio. The TV is a smart TV and has Netflix. Would the audio come out of the Sony speakers with the converter? Would this converter work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F4ORTZ6

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
That is exactly what you need.:)

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Thanks. Would I be able to turn the volume up with the TV remote? I just want to be completely sure before buying.
That is a variable. Can you turn up the
Volume of the Sony with the TV remote
Now?

Your TV may or may not have variable or
Fixed output over RCA out.

Can't be sure.

Either way you will need that
Converter to get sound into the Sony.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a variable. Can you turn up the
Volume of the Sony with the TV remote
Now?

Your TV may or may not have variable or
Fixed output over RCA out.

Can't be sure.

Either way you will need that
Converter to get sound into the Sony.
OK cool. But will all sound come out of Sony speakers? Even when I'm using the Netflix app off of the TV?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
OK cool. But will all sound come out of Sony speakers? Even when I'm using the Netflix app off of the TV?
Yep, everything on the TV

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
By default, all audio being fed from the TV to the stereo system will come out of both the TV's built-in speakers and the stereo system, provided both are turned on and you have the correct input on your stereo selected. If you want the sound to come only from the TV's built-in speakers then turn the stereo off. If you want the sound to come only from the stereo system then go into the audio options for your TV and turn the built-in speakers off.

Typically the volume controls on your TV remote will only affect the volume coming from the TV's built-in speakers. If you were using HDMI then you could enable CEC and System Audio, which would allow the TV remote to be used for controlling the volume of the stereo. Since you are not, your best bet is to see if your TV remote can be programmed to operate your stereo. If not then I'd recommend getting a good universal remote to control both the TV and the stereo.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By default, all audio being fed from the TV to the stereo system will come out of both the TV's built-in speakers and the stereo system, provided both are turned on and you have the correct input on your stereo selected. If you want the sound to come only from the TV's built-in speakers then turn the stereo off. If you want the sound to come only from the stereo system then go into the audio options for your TV and turn the built-in speakers off.

Typically the volume controls on your TV remote will only affect the volume coming from the TV's built-in speakers. If you were using HDMI then you could enable CEC and System Audio, which would allow the TV remote to be used for controlling the volume of the stereo. Since you are not, your best bet is to see if your TV remote can be programmed to operate your stereo. If not then I'd recommend getting a good universal remote to control both the TV and the stereo.
How exactly would I go about programming the TVs remote control to control the stereo system? Is this one programmable?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CMTEX1-Microsystem-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00004VVUL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts