AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...

I have an HDMI plate in my wall and I want to use it to pass 2 channel audio, because it's impossible to run a cable through the wall now since it would be old work.

Is there a box that will let me connect a 2 channel source (turntable) via RCA inputs and come out of the box via HDMI?

I've mostly seen HDMI In>RCA Out. I'm just wondering if the reverse exists anywhere.

Also, if it does exist is it going to downgrade the audio quality sufficiently?

Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
So...

I have an HDMI plate in my wall and I want to use it to pass 2 channel audio, because it's impossible to run a cable through the wall now since it would be old work.

Is there a box that will let me connect a 2 channel source (turntable) via RCA inputs and come out of the box via HDMI?

I've mostly seen HDMI In>RCA Out. I'm just wondering if the reverse exists anywhere.

Thank you for the help.

In the first place, the signal from a turntable needs to be run through a phono preamp to perform an RIAA frequency correction before you get a usable analog signal to go to ANY amplifier circuit.

After the phono preamp, THEN you would need to convert from the analog signal to the HDMI format.

I don't find any such converter, however.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the first place, the signal from a turntable needs to be run through a phono preamp to perform an RIAA frequency correction before you get a usable analog signal to go to ANY amplifier circuit.

After the phono preamp, THEN you would need to convert from the analog signal to the HDMI format.

I don't find any such converter, however.
My turntable has a built in phono preamp. It would hit that stage first and then it would pass to the converter box to my AVR.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So...

Thank you for the help.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011404&p_id=4629&seq=1&format=2

Read the reviews.

·
Registered
22,653 Posts
None of those will work. The OP is looking for an active analog to digital conversion and back again, a simple cable will not do it.

Example: You can go from HDMI to VGA but not VGA to HDMI passively, depending on the video card.
Are you sure?
It really depends on "exactly" what the OP desires.
(He/She is from Andromeda... so things may be different there. ;) )

Assuming the OP "isn't" looking for an active solution and simply is asking if it's possible to use/convert/adapt the existing HDMI cable in the wall to analog audio, it can work. ;)

·
Banned
166 Posts
The OP is looking for an active analog to digital conversion and back again, a simple cable will not do it.
It looks like the OP is looking for a way to use the existing HDMI cable to carry two channels of unbalanced analog audio, in which case the cables linked by ratman would do exactly what the OP wants.

You can go from HDMI to VGA but not VGA to HDMI passively,
no, you can't convert HDMI to VGA passively

If that cable does work I'd learn something!
Yes, you could learn a few things.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
It seems unlikely that the HDMI cable was stapled in to the wall. It might be possible to use the HDMI cable to pull a couple of heavy strings through the wall. Then use one string to pull the HDMI back and use the second string to pull speaker cable though.

If the holes are too small, it might still be possible to pull speaker wire through.

Again, since we weren't there when the original cable was put in, we can't know the details. A

A single HDMI could be split apart into two speaker wires, but they would be very marginal speaker wires.

A single HDMI typically contains 8 wire or 4 pair of 24ga wire. If we assume you need to driver TWO speakers. That is two wires for the positive lead and two wires for the negative lead. Two 24ga wires is the equivalent of a single 21ga wire. That is small for speakers wire. About HALF the size of an 18ga wire which would be considered about the smallest anyone would want to go.

To stay under 5% cable loss, to a 4 ohm speaker, the distance would be about 8ft, for a 6 ohm speakers about 12ft, and for an 8 ohms speaker about 15ft to 16ft.

Now, if you intend to send Line Level or Low Level signals, then the problem become shielding. Give that the wire are twisted pair, the twisted ground wire does provide some degree of shielding. Though I can't say whether it is enough. There are Line Level Audio Cable that use twisted pairs, actually 1 signal and 2 ground twisted together. So, this in not a completely foreign concept. As are are wire gauge, this is not uncommon for Line Level Signals which typically feed high impedance inputs.

The best I can say is - give it a try. But as far as our advice, the best we can do is speculate.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all the replies everybody.

I wish that I could pull the wire through the wall but it's going horizontal through multiple studs and then hits 90 degree angle and go through another way. It wouldn't be very possible.

I'm going to look into some of the converter boxes that have been posted.

If these boxes do work do you think there would be significant loss in audio quality?

Again, thank you for all the responses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts