AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of info about converting speaker wire into RCA cable, but I want to do the opposite. My new apartment has RCA cable running under the floorboards And I want to use this cable as simple speaker wire. Can I simply snip off the RCA plugs and join the remaining wire to speaker wire?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
It'll work, but not very well. Speaker signals carry a lot more current than do interconnect cables, which is what those RCA cables probably are. If you do use them, be prepared to replace some cables and/or amplifiers.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
It's also possible that the wire is actually a speaker wire with RCA connectors attached. There were many all-in-one systems (and IIRC, Bose was one of them) that used RCA connectors for speakers to make it "simple". Show us a picture...

Reactions: ovalroaster

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I won't be back to the apartment for a few days, so I can't show a picture until then.  However, when I was there earlier today I sliced off one of the RCA plugs and found what looked like a few wire filaments surrounded by plastic coating, and then surrounded again by other filaments.  I suppose one of those groups of filaments is the ground?  But man, those were some PALTRY filaments.  I would not be surprised at all if they couldn't carry the necessary juice from the amplifier to the speaker.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovalroaster  /t/1526106/rca-cable-as-speaker-wire#post_24576425

I won't be back to the apartment for a few days, so I can't show a picture until then.  However, when I was there earlier today I sliced off one of the RCA plugs and found what looked like a few wire filaments surrounded by plastic coating, and then surrounded again by other filaments.  I suppose one of those groups of filaments is the ground?  But man, those were some PALTRY filaments.  I would not be surprised at all if they couldn't carry the necessary juice from the amplifier to the speaker.

That would NOT be a speaker wire, then...

Reactions: ovalroaster
1 - 6 of 6 Posts