AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,


I'm planning on connecting RCA cable speakers to a receiver by cutting off the RCA connectors on the ends of the cables and splitting the wire into + and -. To strengthen the connection, I was planning on hooking up the cut RCA cable to banana plugs. Will this connection work, or is there some incompatibility between RCA cable and banana plugs?


Thanks,

David
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,409 Posts

Quote:
I'm planning on connecting RCA cable speakers to a receiver by cutting off the RCA connectors on the ends of the cables and splitting the wire into + and -. To strengthen the connection, I was planning on hooking up the cut RCA cable to banana plugs. Will this connection work, or is there some incompatibility between RCA cable and banana plugs?

Depending on the gauge of the wiring used in those cables, those RCAs could work just fine in place of regular (14ga.) speaker wire. You don't really need banana plugs - they're more for convenience and looks than strength or sound quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thanks eljaycanuck. I've been reading everywhere that you compromise a lot of long-term stability (risk of short-circuiting, sound degradation, etc.) by putting the speaker wire direct into speakers/receivers without clips or banana plugs on them. Guess it's just for Monster and others to make more money?


On that note, should I skip buying banana plugs for the satellite speakers I'm going to be plugging into the receiver? They'll be connected using straight-forward speaker wire, no RCA cutting for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,189 Posts
I too have several small speakers with RCA connectors on the speaker wires.

If I were to connect them to an amplifier using banana plugs, I would use short lengths of a more robust wire from the banana plug to a female RCA jack.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgaus51
I've been reading everywhere that you compromise a lot of long-term stability (risk of short-circuiting, sound degradation, etc.) by putting the speaker wire direct into speakers/receivers without clips or banana plugs on them.
As long as the individual strands in each wire are twisted tightly together so that they don't "stray" and make contact with metal parts other than the terminals they're attached to (or spring-loaded clips they're inserted into), there's no reason to expect short-circuiting or sound degradation.


Depending on the quality of the wire, the ends could oxidize slightly over time due to exposure to air, but that'll happen whether the wire is bare or stuffed into a banana plug. (I've read that some people cut their lengths of wire a bit longer so that, periodically, they can "freshen" the wire by cutting the oxidized ends off and stripping new ends.)

Quote:
On that note, should I skip buying banana plugs for the satellite speakers I'm going to be plugging into the receiver?
That's entirely up to you. I use banana plugs where it's most convenient (that is, where I expect I may be doing the most plugging/unplugging): At the receiver end of the wires, and at my front three speakers. The rest of my connections (at the surrounds speakers and all the wall-plates) are all bare-wire.

Quote:
Oh, and just to check: I can connect banana plugs to the stripped RCA cable, right? Would that be the same as connecting banana plugs to regular speaker wire?
Yup. Wire is wire.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top