AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now working on having my second RCA television replaced by Thomson. They are talking about buying back my first television at a pro-rated amount. They replaced the first one only to have the second one fail.

Now they want to offer me half of what I paid for the first one. These failed within the warranty periods. I have looked for previous lawsuits of this nature and found the law firm that settled a class action suit with Thomson.

If you have had one of these sets fail and needed repair please respond and let me know what remedy you were given and if you would join a lawsuit of this kind.

I had a P61310, F38310 and HD65W140 that all failed or where repaired to due faulty power supply components.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
You need to stop purchasing RCA TV's. I know this does not help you any, but learn from your mistakes.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yessirrom
I bought the first two at the same time. The third was a replacement from RCA, not a purchase. I may be slow but I am not that slow...
If Texas has an adequate upper limit for small claims court then that might be a better option for you.

Is there a Lemon Law in Texas?

Is RCA refusing to repair or replace the current set?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a lemon law in Texas and that is probably why they replaced the first one. It was repaired four times. The current set has some limited run module that was used in only 200 sets or so. Apparently the software that is distributed to RCA techs will not interface with it. They cannot fix it and say that they have no units in the "warehouse" to replace it with.

The rep then generously offered to buy back the original unit but not the full purchase price, they want to pro-rate it from the original purchase date to today. Never mind that the replacement has been in the shop for three months and the original only worked for about six months...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Quote:
I had a P61310, F38310 and HD65W140 that all failed or where repaired to due faulty power supply components.
It is nice to know that Thomson didn't change some old "traditions" at RCA. :D

Power supplies have always been a chronic problem with RCA TV's. The PS had to be replaced twice on my very first RCA color TV (around 1980?)

RCA also has a chronic problem with cold solder joints. However, at least those can be fixed with just a soldering iron and a lot of free time. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I also will never buy another RCA product. About 3 years ago I purchased an MM52100 Projection TV which has never worked right. Everytime I tried watching anything through the component input, the screen would periodically blank out for a second or so.

This effectively means that I am not able to use the TV for HD or progressive scan sources. After many support calls to RCA, the matter was still left unresoved, and I just gave up.

I've also read many other stories about how they simply refuse to stand behind any of their products.

As far as I'm concerned, they are the worst consumer electronics company out there!

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
Quote:
The rep then generously offered to buy back the original unit but not the full purchase price, they want to pro-rate it from the original purchase date to today. Never mind that the replacement has been in the shop for three months and the original only worked for about six months...
I would try to go higher in the command chain at RCA and/or take them to small claims court.

RCA has such a long history of this kind of thing just asking for fairness probably won't work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.