AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this model at Circuit City next to all other brands a few days. Then went on to

three more stores, the RCA seem to have the best overall picture compared to other

models, especially when you look at the price tag (2699.99). I was told, it would work

well with the progressive scan JVC XVS65GD DVD player (229.99) and i was also

impressed with the new Bosse two speaker system (999.99).

Ever since, i have tried to find reviews, which seem almost impossible (web,

magazines, etc.). I am obviously new to this but would very much appreciate any

feedback you might have.

thank you,

Wolf

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have had an RCA D61130 since July. I really like it. I subscribe to DirecTV and am constatly blown away by how good HDNet and HBO HD look. I never thought that I would be buying an Thompson/RCA brand TV and had been looking at getting a Mitisbushi or a Toshiba large screen TV. But when I saw the D61130 it was like night and day compared to the best I could see in those sets.

I originally had COX digital cable but the TV really showed up how poor both their analog and digital signals are. DirecTV looks a lot better on this set, IMHO. Sound for DirecTV comes from the optical output to my amplifier and I have seen no mis-matching on the audio synch and it always sounds very clear.

I have it hooked up to an APEX 800 progressive DVD player and PS 2 through component cables (I use an AV switch box as there is only 1 set of component inputs). They both look spectacular. Oh there is nothing quite like jumping off the side of a cliff in SSX on a 61inch screen.

The only down side seems to be that it loses convergence on the component input quite easily and I have to re-do it ever 3 to 4 days. But it only takes a couple of minutes to run through the auto-convergence program.

Setting up over-the-air digital broadcast was a simple as plugging in the antenna and hitting "auto-tune". Although it must be said this set must have the slowest auto-tune I have ever seen. But once tuned the HD signals from CBS are mind-blowing.

I managed to bargin my local "Ultimate Electronics" down to $2250 for the set. I did spend $250 on a 4 year extended warranty but since this was my first rear-projection TV set I thought it worth-while.

If I had to do it over again, I would. This set is a joy to look at and despite the couple of small niggles I look forward to more HDTV content becoming available in Las Vegas for me to enjoy on it.

Colin

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.