AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried this unit yet? Sounds like it will work well with most any source and no service charge required.

·
Registered
116 Posts
well, I'm afraid you will have to define "work well".

You will only get guide data if you are using cable. It uses the Gemstar Guide+ system.

At $600, it costs $100 more than a 5040 with lifetime activation, which is about the cost of a decent DVD player these days.

I played with one at CC. On the surface it looks to be the perfect box - DVD player, Mp3 player, PVR - but the software is pretty basic - the MP3 interface is pretty much unusable (at least to me) and the PVR functionality is very crude - much more VCR like that one would hope.

The Gemstar guide is ok. We have it on our Proscan TV. It is not bad for free. You don't get 2 weeks of listings - just several days. In general, most cable lineups will be incomplete or just flat out wrong.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Just to clarify, the Gemstar guide is usually transmitted both by cable and by the local Educational TV system. If they had included a DVD recorder rather than a player then I probably would say jump on it. But as a player. . .ehh. . .

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies: RCA, aside from a few product issues, have been right on with the DTC 100 and the 38" direct view. Always looking for better gadgets:)

I don't have cable anymore, just satellite and roof antennas, the satellite services all have guides already. Using Tivo's now with much success except for c-band, it works but could be better on this format.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I've had mine for about 2 weeks now, and really like it. I have it connected to my Hughes E-86 receiver. As stated above the program guide doesn't function with a satellite receiver, but that is no problem. Setting up a recording is simple, and I have one-button programming on my Hughes. The quality of the image is good. The DVD quality (progressive scan) is excellent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.