Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello thar!

Recently got the 50 inch RCA DLP Tv (HDLP50W151) and of course being a geek and a half saw that lovely DVI plug on the back, and the DVI Plug on my video card :)

Being smart, I did read here first so i got powerstrip, applied the standard issue 960x540p DTV rez and timings, and wow. A readable desktop from accross the room. Beautiful, almost.

The first problem is overscan, i loose something like the width of the start menu from both the horz and vertical with this thing up. Toying with the timings (i didnt touch sync lines, being sacred they are) only got the sides back where they belong without overscan, i can not with any timings get the top and bottom overscanless.

Issue 2 is that it seems that the television changes its color temperature depending on the colors being displayed on the screen. This only happens with the DVI input so i thinking that its somehow my fault with some misconfig. If for example i had a perfectly blue background on (wanna keep tube wear even) and then i opened up a thumbnail window for my pictures folder and started to thumbnail some pics, the blue in the background seemed to change shades, becoming brighter and darker, with what varied on the windows explorer window

Final thing, and this is more my inexpeirnace with anything HD. Is the DVI input good to use? should i spring for an ATI Card (Using a Geforce 3 TI200 atm) and the HDTV out thingie? Is it normal for the tv to be displaying 540p when the set's manual doesnt say it supports it?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
The problem is not your setup the problem is all TV's have overscan.

You just don't know what you are missing when you watch regular TV.

I use software to correct the overscan when watching DVD's. Both TheaterTek and Zoomplayer have this feature.

I have no idea about the color question.

For a desktop I usually 856x480 which has almost no overscan on my TV.

The other option you have is to have your TV calibrated by an ISF certified tech. This is ~$500 and they can do wonders with most TV's, including minimize a TV's overscan to ~5%. Most TV's have ~25%.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
k. any idea for a directory of these techs?

also anyone know how to enter the service menu on an RCA TV? im adventerious so of course i wanna try to fix it myself before i pay someone 500 bux (yikes) to have it done for me, yes i know the warning that you can **** up things big time

also, i seem to have gotten my powerstrip timings stuck such that regardless of the rez im choosing, it stays at the timings for 960x540, any idea how to break this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.