AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
tmsmith, I was concerned about reliability issues when I bought my RCA HDRPTV about a year ago. I had read about RCA reliability issues and hesitated before I bought my TV. However, my RCA has performed fantastically and has basically debunked all I used to believe about RCA. Seriously, most of the concerns about certain brands are usually unfounded. Unless you buy a real off the wall brand, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

·
Registered
16,165 Posts
RCA was rated recently at the bottom for reliability in a Consumer Reports survey. However, the survey did not include their DLPs. Another issue is that it does not accept 720p signals over DVI (even though 720p is its native resolution), which could be an issue with upscaling DVD players connected digitally. Mits has always had a great reputation for TVs, and Samsung has become the leading consumer products company in the world. I bought my Sammy DLP 14 moths ago, and coudn't be happier.

·
Registered
179 Posts
BillP, you are right, the RCA will not accept a 720P signal. I have a Samsung upscaling DVD player and I have to watch it either in 480P or 1080i. I don't find this bad at all though since the 1080i setting is quite excellent on my TV. I have a Gateway DVD Progressive Scan DVD recorder hooked to my Component 1 connection on my TV and the DVI picture in 1080i coming from my Samsung is noticeably superior. It would be nice to get the 720p signal though. I don't put much stock in Consumer Reports surveys as I prefer to guage things with my own eyes and ears.

·
Registered
950 Posts
They charge a lot for the replacement bulbs for their DLP sets.

Robert

·
Registered
16,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckSolo
I don't put much stock in Consumer Reports surveys as I prefer to guage things with my own eyes and ears.
I would agree with you if the survey was on something subjective like PQ. But on reliability, it should be pretty accurate. But, to be fair, the survey did not include their DLPs, so their poor reliability on older models may or may not relate to their DLPs.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BillP
Another issue is that it does not accept 720p signals over DVI (even though 720p is its native resolution), which could be an issue with upscaling DVD players connected digitally.
This is not true with their HD2+ models, which accept 720p over its HDMI (not DVI anymore in the HD2+'s) input, and component for those DVD players or STB's that can upconvert over component.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.