AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out and picked up a VERY LOW COST (check out bestbuy.com) 480p DVD player. Already checked picture and its acceptable.

But, the box and specs say this supports DTS PASSTHROUGH, but the user's manual says something like if you connect this to an audio system with a DTS processor through the COAX optical you will hear nothing.

Well, I hear nothing. So what is the value of DTS PASSTHROUGH??? BTW, the DTS light when I select DTS on the DVD, but DTS does not light on my audio processor (ONKYO). And 5.1 works fine through optical.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
This means that RCA is too cheap to pay licensing fee for DTS support. The box is wrong. This RCA along with RCA 285/290 don't pass DTS via SPDIF so your receiver can decode it (only Dolby Digital). Most consumers don't know or care about DTS (as long as they get 5.1 sound they're fine with it). I personally prefer DTS if a movie offers it. DTS-ES 6.1 is awesome.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I made the mistake of buying a DRC290 5 disc player-same problem-it won't pass DTS through coaxial or optical, the picture quality is very good. It won't remember the position of the last disc or any other one in the other trays. These 2 flaws are unforgiveable as far as I'm concerned. Back it goes-gonna get an Onkyo DVCP704B instead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.