AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In terms of audiovisual quality, availability, and accessibility, which one of these three set top boxes is superior? The RCA and DISH Network were both the highest rated on CNET, and according to a Crave blog posting, the TR-40 will be released in the future.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Based on those terms? The Channel Master CM-7000 and the Zenith DTT-901.

CNET don't know their rear end from a hole in the ground.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/14328128

Based on those terms? The Channel Master CM-7000 and the Zenith DTT-901.

CNET don't know their rear end from a hole in the ground.

I can't speak for the Channel Master, but I can comment about the Zenith VS the RCA. I found no significant difference in picture or sound quality (at least on a 24" Sony flat screen). I will be looking at them more closely on larger screens over the next couple of weeks. Keep in mind, most of us are comparing only one or two units. It looks like CNET only looks at a single unit. Variability among samples may be sufficient to skew the results. Consumer reports looks at several of the same models, so it is likely their comparisons are more accurate than CNETs. They felt the PQ of the Zenith and RCA were pretty much equivalent.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
There was one well-known review linked to here that said that the DTVPal's PQ was similar to the RCA's. Now, I've had the Pal, CM and Zenith, and I can tell you that the last two have much better PQ than the Pal on my 32" 480i CRT.

So I was just going by that. I didn't see the review where they said the Zenith and RCA were equal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD210 /forum/post/14333254

It looks like CNET only looks at a single unit. Variability among samples may be sufficient to skew the results. Consumer reports looks at several of the same models, so it is likely their comparisons are more accurate than CNETs. They felt the PQ of the Zenith and RCA were pretty much equivalent.

Do you know in which month's issue Consumer Reports will release their ratings for the CECBs?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Keep in mind that Consumer Reports primarily compared picture quality and features in their reviews. They did not even attempt to address sensitivity which should have been given high consideration since many of these will be used in rural settings (fringe areas not close to broadcasting towers) where people rely on antenaes since they usually can't receive cable television.

Rumor has it that Consumer Reports will be doing an update article on CECB's which will also include sensitivity.

medoug

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
i have 2, cm-7000 and DTVPAL. hooked to the same 2 TVs with the same antennas the cm-7000 blow the DTVPAL away. it held more channel than the DTVPAL which locked some in but were unwatchable. Now i have re hooked the DTVPAL to the upstairs TV with better rabbit ears that were place on top of a cabinet and the pal is working fine, locked in 37 channels and all fine. The CM-7000 can lock in weak channels much better than the pal but if you have a great antenna with strong singles the pal will work fine. Picture wise they are all pretty much the same with little differences but i have found that the Cm-7000 sometime has strange looking picture just don't know how to put it into words. It kind of looks like the picture is vertical strips out of focus being put together to make the picture. I noticed on the 27" orion TV with the really bad antenna but don't remember it on the upstairs TV which has much better reception.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts