AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's my only problem with my HDTV viewing.

I own a Mitsubishi 65" (65807) TV with a DTC-100 (RCA). I have a VGA/HDTV Component Video Adapter to convert the VGA to Component for viewing on the DTC. My problem is that I'm losing about 1-2 inches on the top and bottom. It's causing the scores of a hockey/baseball game to cutoff and when I switch to Letterbox (4:3), I can see that they are broadcasting the full 16x9 shot. The only adjustment on the RCA Video Adaptor is Horizontal Adjust. They is no VERTICAL Adjust or any way to kinda "Crunch" the picture vertically a little to regain the cutoff top and bottom.

Should I purchase another HDTV receiver that has a COMPONENT DTV output directly to my HDTV? Or should I pursue another Component Video Adapter?

-=*Sharby*=-

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
you might try changing the retrace timing for the DTC100.

I also use the rca component adapter and found I prefer the default retrace timings as opposed to the one specifically for the VHDC300.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I agree that it is likely the overscan on your TV. If you go to www.***************.com there is a wealth of information about tweaking Mitsubishi TVs including how to adjust the picture height and geometry. It will take going into the service menu, but this web site has step by step instructions about how to do it. I had the same problem with my 46" Mitsubishi, but it's now much better.

SMK

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone. Lemme head over to that website. I did play with the retrace settings on the DTC100 with no luck. Thanks again!

-=*Sharby*=-

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the same problem with my DTC-100 and Philips 34PW9815. Top and bottom cut off. I've been into the service menus, but don't want to muck things up. Any ideas?

I'm going to Circuit City to pick up the Sony SATHD1 receiver to compare. Too bad Philips doesn't make a HD receiver.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have the same problem on my Mits. 73903, only in HD mode. I also have geometry problems and some problem with the short DTC-100 retrace timings where the picture wildly changes in brightness level during 16x9 hdtv programming, so I have to use the long. I also don't want to venture into the service menus, but if I hear "Why is the ESPN score thing cut-off?" one more time I'm gonna take an ax to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PHL,

Lemme know your results. If I can find an HDTV receiver that has no cutoff, I'll switch. Please post your results.

-=*Sharby*=-

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,620 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PHL
I have the same problem with my DTC-100 and Philips 34PW9815. Top and bottom cut off. I've been into the service menus, but don't want to muck things up. Any ideas?

I'm going to Circuit City to pick up the Sony SATHD1 receiver to compare. Too bad Philips doesn't make a HD receiver.
They do.

Phillips markets an HDTV / DirecTV IRD, it's identical to the Hughes/Toshiba/Mitsubishi product. Good luck finding it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.