AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else ever tried to hook up a DTC-100 directly to a Mitsu HDTV? Well it seems to me the format of the data is 1080i on an input that is limited to 640x480! It won't work with any amount of prodding, I guess I need the VGA->5BNC connector. Is this correct? Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
957 Posts
You are right that you need the breakout cable. I believe you will also need the BNC to RCA adapters. Radio Shack has them. You also could purchase a very nice cable from Bettercables.com .

Do a search and you will find a wealth of information.

Rick

------------------

RJW

·
Registered
998 Posts
I've used the DTC-100 RGBHV output on a friend's Mits and it worked just fine. However, the last time I talked to a Mits. dealer, just before the release of their STB (at twice the cost of the DTC) he showed me a warranty void warning on Mits letterhead.

Yes, it will work.

No, Mits. won't back you if the set should fail after having been 'poisoned' by that un-authorized signal from the DTC.

As always, the choice is yours.

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by heyta:
Has anyone else ever tried to hook up a DTC-100 directly to a Mitsu HDTV? Well it seems to me the format of the data is 1080i on an input that is limited to 640x480! It won't work with any amount of prodding, I guess I need the VGA->5BNC connector. Is this correct? Thanks.

Mark
Mark:

You don't mention your model number, but if your set is a first generation (xxx03) HDTV your HD input as you mention will be 5-BNC connectors. So if you order a VGA to 5-BNC breakout cable you won't need any RCA to BNC adapters. As you probably figured out by now the component input on the first generation HDTvs is designed exclusively for 480i signals.

In addition to the breakout cable to get the Mits to recognize the RCA HD signal you will have to enter the Mits service mode to enable the HD port:
Activating the HD input on the 1999 (xxx03) HD ready TVs

Happy viewing!

Larry

·
Registered
957 Posts
Terry B, That letter is old news. It had to do with the retrace timing in the original DTC-100 SW which left a portion of the screen dark and might cause burn in. That was corrected by adjusting the overscan. With the proper timing selected in the current DTC-100 monitor menu the overscan does not need to be adjusted.

Larry, in my earlier post I mentioned the BNC to RCA adapters since heyta stated that the VGA input limited the picture to 640x480. The connection heyta refers to is only available on 2001 sets.

I really like my two DTC-100s.

Rick

------------------

RJW

·
Registered
998 Posts
Wezar,

Did Mits. ever retract the policy statement or is everybody just assuming they won't tell you to take a hike since the DTC upgrades? Seems to me that it was much more of a CYA (and a wait for our super STB) mechanism by Mits. Prior to the upgrade it was still possible to get it right , just a little more difficult. The time frame for my seeing the letter at an HT store in Houston was early February, the timing change came down four months before that in November. I've been happily running the DTC with my 53HS10 for 14 months now, my buddy still hasn't sprung for the DTC. He's been (shudder) watching nothing but cable since Jan 2000.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.