AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fan is running even with the Power off. Is this normal? It has plenty of ventilation.

Chris

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Huh... either I must have the world's quietest DTC-100, or y'all's hearing is much more sensitive than mine.

OTOH, maybe my DTC-100 is just being drowned out by everything else in my home theater... you don't KNOW from noisy until you have an LCD projector and an HTPC going at the same time. Especially the computer... between the DVD drive, the video card fan, the CPU fan, and the power supply fan, the durned thing sounds like it's about to take off. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------

Scott Gammans

Another satisfied NEC VT540 owner
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Add a "DirecTV with TiVo" to your setup. It's fan and disk access noise will take care of the DTC100's sound output pretty quick. I actually have fans running in my receiver as well. However, when I am watching something this background noise doesn't seem to detract from the listening experience.

BTW, the DTC100 is never actually "off", unless you pull the plug. The on/off switch merely cuts off the A/V outputs (although the optical will remain lit). The receiver itself will continue to operate, thus the need for continued fannage (new word!).

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Intraview:
Fan is running even with the Power off. Is this normal? It has plenty of ventilation.
Chris, the power is NEVER off unless you physically disconnect the power supply cord from the outlet. ALL DBS receivers remain powered up so that they can accept firmware updates and "call home" to upload PPV billing activity periodically. When you press the "Power" button at the receiver or the remote, all you're doing is disabling the video and audio outputs and extinguishing the front panel LED.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the responses.

Fortunately the sound isn't loud enough for me to hear it!

Chris

·
Registered
457 Posts
BTDT,

Heh, heh, heh, "fannage", I like that!

What unit of measure would that be? Decibels? Maybe we could start posting the relative "fannage" levels of equipment. Anybody want to list their device as "reference" in this category?

OK. I'll go back to my corner now.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Quote:
How's about Analog Radio Shack SPL, C weighting, 6" from front panel???

Bob Smith
Mine is below 50, i.e. doesn't register on meter.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Guess that's the advantage of 30 years of Rock and Roll. I don't notice the fan on my DTC-100! The one on my Vision One is very noticable though.

Bob Smith

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.