AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a suspicious issue with some RCA DTC-100s...namely they blow up. I posted awhile back asking what people knew about repairing them, but I have a more simple question...why should this happen?

The DTC-100 is on a complicated install with oval dish, multiplexer and 2 other receivers. I did not do it myself nor know much about it. The installer who did I've caught pulling stuff out of his ass. He tried to convince me I wouldn't see a difference in video quality if I hooked up the RCA via composite video (NOT s-video or component let alone the VGA.) So what I'm wondering is if there is somewhere along the line that the line from the satellite should be grounded? I'm pretty positive that there is an actual ground being made at the box, but is there somewhere else he should have done something?

So far I've lost an RCA DTC-100 (just the satellite half) and just last week, the multiplexer and ANOTHER DTC-100 satellite half blew out. He's trying to convince me to go buy a Sony, but I see a conflict of interest.

Any thoughts?

------------------

Cal Z.
Monitors: Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ Gateway Destination 27" SVGA

and

HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment av, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp) + Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver + Sega Dreamcast with Naki VGA Box + RCA DTC-100
s>

·
Registered
54 Posts
Get a new installer & ground your Satellite!

P.S. there is usually good information on how to ground a Satellite in the manual for your tuner.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have had a very similar experience with the DTC100. I had a near lightning strike a while ago that fried quite a few things in my house. As for the DTC100, the satellite recption would no longer work, however the OTA was not affected. The only way to recover the DTC100 was to send it back to RCA for a new one.

FYI, I also had a Sony B3 hooked up to the same multiplexor and it was not harmed whatsoever. Seems that DTC100 is quite susseptable to damage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The other thing I notice that might be a little hint here is that the DTC-100 is a 3 prong unit (with ground). The other Sony units are 2 prong (no ground). Since electricity goes to ground, could this be the reason for the DTC being damaged?

Of course, I could be pulling this out of my rear end like your installer. You may want to check for damage from animals as well. I had a problem getting one of the 2 satellites on one of my units and it turned out to be a chewed wire. Once it was replaced, no problems.

And last but not least, have you tried running a DIRECT connection between the satellite and the DTC-100 with RG6 cable? Just a last minute thing to make sure it's your DTC that's fried.

-Don

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
RCA inclues anational electrical code flyer on grounding with all units. The ground/messanger wire of the cable should terminate on exposed metal of the dish support and at a ground point as near to the cables entrance to your home. It is unclear from your post if you had to replace LNBs as well. could be that only the LNBs are failing? I have never craked open a DTC100 (yet) but i woud imagine the design would inculde a MOV surge protector in the LNB power circuit. IF so replacing it might get the unit back up and running.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Namlemez,

Do you have a surge protector for the coax satellite signal? If so what brand/model? If not here are a couple of fairly inexpensive options:

This one protects a single satellite receiver for $41 http://www.discountpanamax.com/10/30.htm?936

This one will protect 2 receivers for $71 http://www.discountpanamax.com/3/26.htm?936

They have a 3 and 5 year warranty on the LNB and receiver. Good luck.

Jay

[This message has been edited by jerndl (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi namlemez,

The subject says lightning strike. Your post however suggest that they are still operational with some features not working.

If your antenna had sustained a strike, your equipment would have been damaged beyond repair; appliances, wires, and most if not all electricals fried; and possibly a fire (heaven forbid).

If OTA still works on the DTC and all that you've lost is satellite, then perhaps your dish is just out of alignment.

Thanks,

Errol

------------------
Keohi HDTV

Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

[This message has been edited by kealii (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
keali: I think they might be isolated, consider:

1. Both instances happened during a storm with lightning

2. All the other boxes still work

3. Multiplexer FRIED during one incident

Only thing I don't understand is why the other little cheap Sony boxes I have don't get hit. The DTC-100 is about 200 ft closer to the dish, perhaps it just takes the path of least resistance?

------------------

Cal Z.
Monitors: Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ Gateway Destination 27" SVGA

and

HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment av, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp) + Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver + Sega Dreamcast with Naki VGA Box + RCA DTC-100
s>

·
Registered
63 Posts
All, As I mentioned in my post above, this is an issue that has been seen by myself as well. It IS not related to the LNB or dish, as the DTV signal works fine on other recievers (ie. sony). RCA caughed up a replacement receiver for me without any questions, and the new one resolved the issue. THIS IS A DTC-100 ISSUE. Don't try to analyze this by pointing in other places.:mad:

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I experienced a similar problem with a Sony dish. I was told by the Sony service center that there is a crystal in the LNB that is susceptible to the sound shock wave from the thunder of a close lightening strike. I mounted my dish on a pipe driven into the ground with bushes behind it. When I inspected the dish closer, I noticed a couple of marks on the LNB from the weed whip of my lawn service. The vibration was enough to crack the crystal. I replaced the LNB and everything worked fine once again. I you don't have any obvious visual indications of lightning damage, you might check into the possibility of this kind of damage.

Jack Syer

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Here's my self-installation:

The dish mast is grounded to a 20 ft. deep copper rod that's buried in the ground, along with every other antenna on the house.

The ground wire that's attached to the RG-6/U coax is attached to the dish mast at the sanme point as the above-mentioned ground wire. The other end of the ground wire that is attached to the coax is attached to the ground point on the DTC100.

The DTC100 gets its power from a UPS.

There is no sure fire way of protecting equipment from lightning, but proper grounding and disconnecting everything (unplug everything in your system from the wall outlets and disconnect the coax inputs from the dish and/or antenna) during a local thunderstorm helps. Just some friendly advice from Florida, the Lightning Capital of North America.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.