Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI:

Tonight I visited our local Rex appliance store to ask about the pricing of their RCA DTC-100. Previously I was told: price $549; no surprise there. I might add this store just added this item to their inventory within the past month.

Given some comments here and in other forums regarding pricing, I pressed for details tonight. I was told they sell the receiver only with a dish and sub. Pricing is as follows:

$549 for the receiver

49 for the dish (18" dish; single LNB)

0 for the mandatory install

plus one months subscription to at least the $32.99/mo package.

Now this is all new them; they just got one on the floor for demo purposes (it does not yet work) and two in the warehouse (no dishes even). They are waiting for the installer to come and fix it.

Bottom line, ouch. I wonder if this is becoming the norm.

Bruce

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Funny, but I've seen them in BestBuy on closeout for $449.

By the way, the 18" round dish is of no help to get HDTV. You need the 24" oval model, it usually goes for $150.

In any event, it's still the cheapest stb that works with DirecTV.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had heard Best Buy was closing them out but have not visited the nearest one lately (hour away).

He said $49 for dish; I said the round one; he said yes. I thought it took only one dish to get the right bird for the HD. So it gets even more expensive. It would not surprise me if he erred; they have not yet sold any so probably have not thought it through.

Thanks for the input Ken.

Bruce

·
Registered
871 Posts
Labor Day weekend sale at Anderson's in San Jose:

PSHD105 (Proscan equivalent of DTC100)=$199 for open box but brand new unit.

Related questions:

1) Could one receive Channel 199 @119 degrees from DTC100 using a DISH 500 setup with the SW64 switch? (This assumes no interest in the DirecTV programming at 101)

Alternatively, could one split the 119 signal from the LNB before the SW64 and run one leg directly to the DTC100?

2) Can one subscribe to DirecTV for HD with only a 119 feed?

3) What is the cheapest way possible to receive Channel 199 (soon to be HiDefNet)? Would $5/month for only ppv access secure it?

[This message has been edited by tmitchmd (edited 09-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H:
By the way, the 18" round dish is of no help to get HDTV. You need the 24" oval model, it usually goes for $150.

i use a round dish for hd. i had an 18" on 101 so i just added a second round dish for 119. MUCH easier to align and i later spent $60 to upgrade the dish to a 24" dish which is much better in rain and can even shoot through some trees i have.

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Why does he shake hands with that guy right after he sexed the alligator

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Hi bruce-

contact matt at Queen city via our local forum.

beat on him to give to a good price on the DTC100.

He also has the Mits box as well...

Is she finally going to let you get a rx?

------------------

Regards,

Bob Davis, DOE

WCCB-Fox18/WCCB-DT27

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Hi Todd,

"1) Could one receive Channel 199 @119 degrees from DTC100 using a DISH 500 setup with the SW64 switch? (This assumes no interest in the DirecTV programming at 101)

Alternatively, could one split the 119 signal from the LNB before the SW64 and run one leg directly to the DTC100?"

Here is the best info I know of for using the least dishes for the most programing. http://www.geocities.com/dbs_tech/

I can tell you the Dish & DirecTV LNB's & dishes are compatible (with one rare exception, the DirecTV Sat C kit) but the switches are not.

"2) Can one subscribe to DirecTV for HD with only a 119 feed?"

Yes, but you'll still be paying for the entire premium service. For example, to get HBO in HD, you have to pay for the whole HBO package, which is about $12 a month.

With DirecTV, any basic programing package gives access to you ch 199. It varies from CSR to CSR if you can get 199 if you just have HBO, or if an access fee also applies.

With Dish, the same applies to get access to the ch 9428 PPV movie channel. I only sub to HBO & Showtime, and must pay a $5.00 per month fee for PPV & demo loop access.

"3) What is the cheapest way possible to receive Channel 199 (soon to be HiDefNet)? Would $5/month for only ppv access secure it?"

As of now, yes. But when HDNet goes live, it's always possible DirecTV will change their tune. There has been no public info regarding this, as yet. But recent rumors say it will be on the air in the next 30 days, or even much less, so we'll know soon.

Best Regards,

Ken

------------------

tm

·
Registered
45,617 Posts
Sorry if I wasn't clear above about the dish/s needed for HD from DirecTV.

There are two ways to go.

1) The 24" oval dish (which includes the required multiswitch) is an all in one solution.

2) Two 18" dishes can be also used, as indygreg says. You can get better dish allignment with this method. You will need to buy a multiswitch to combine the two sat locations.

------------------

tm

·
Registered
871 Posts
Ken,

Thanks so much for your kind reply.

Damn shame the 169time situation hasn't (yet?) panned out. They would surely generate a nice demand for that product now.

By the way, congratulations on the outstanding job you perform in moderating the HD forums.

I have noticed a definite uptick on the civility scale the last few days; not a coincidence I would surmise...

[This message has been edited by tmitchmd (edited 09-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bdfox18doe:
Hi bruce-

contact matt at Queen city via our local forum.

beat on him to give to a good price on the DTC100.

He also has the Mits box as well...

Is she finally going to let you get a rx?
Bob,

I had forgotten about Matt; thanks for reminding me. And no on the rx question.

I have been trying to keep up on things and the conversations going on here. I visit a couple of the local retailers ever couple of weeks or so since they cannot yet spell HDTV. (I keep trying). Sears still has no HD feed to any box much less a 1080i display (2 on floor). They had a Dish 6000 setup but they renovated the display area and it has disappeared. One local appliance store cannot get their DTC-100 working; another basically has not bothered with anything. But the latter did just get several Panys in including a largish RPTV but I failed to get the model # off the carton). Someday...

Bruce

·
Registered
31 Posts
Let me get this straight.

If I split the signals coming from 119 & 110 and use a different switch for Dish & Directv + Dish 500 dual LNB satellite I can get DirectTv HD & SD as well.

Right ??

Gurprit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For those of you in South Florida:

I just bought a DTC-100(new, no dish) for about $265 at Brandsmart in Sunrise (Must subscribe to Directv for at least a month). They also had the Mitsubishi receiver (I think its the SR-HD400, no dish) for $448.88 + tax. The prices were marked something like, $448.88 for the DTC and $698.88 for the Mitsubishi. I asked the salesman if those prices were negotiable, he then said the DTC-100 was $248, then he tried to sell me the Mitsubishi for $420. Don't know how long these prices will last...

[This message has been edited by the incredible hulk (edited 09-02-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.