AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, with the HDnet coming out, I am also getting a DirecTV subscription. Can someone answer a couple of questions?

What is the average price for the RCA DTC-100 receiver, and where can I get one?

Can I use my existing Dish 500 dish and mount the DirecTV lnb on it? I would hate to add another dish to my already large setup..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I think your biggest dish problem would be that the Dish and DirecTV satellites aren't in the same orbital slots. I don't know about other compatibility issues. I personally think it's kind of cool to have multiple dishes and maybe a microwave tower on your roof :)

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have found that the local "Good Guys" usually have open box DTC-100s or better yet the discontinued Proscan version around. I have seen them as low as $250 but you cannot depend on it. This is without dish but I picked up an oval dish (for LNBs and multi-switch) off eBay for $70.

Jim

------------------

Jim Sanchez - [email protected]

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the DTC-100 have a component output or it works like a Dish 5000 receiver with the HD module in the back?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I have the DTC-100 which I think works great, but there are two things I would caution you about.

First, the boxes are sent out without the latest firmware. DirecTV used to send out the firmware upgrade twice a day. For reasons I don't know, they have stopped doing so. This has been discussed in other threads on this forum. Without the latest firmware, there are issues related to retrace timing, and some functionality issues of the remote. These make the unit less desirable, until DirecTV starts transmitting this upgrade again.

Second, it does not have a component ouput. It has an RGB output. If your TV accepts this like the Pioneers, great. If not, you either need a "breakout cable" or a "transcoder" to connect the unit to your TV.

SMK

·
Registered
708 Posts
BTDT, correct me if I'm wrong. If I have a spare feed from my Dish 500 twin LNBF I can connect a coax cable to it and connect that to a Direct TV receiver. With this I should be able to get channel 199 HDNet since this one channel is broadcast from the 119 satellite, same as Dish. Correct?

If I want the rest of Direct TV's programming then I have to aim a dish at 101, but would the Dish 500 and a Direct TV HD receiver be enought if i ONLY want channel 199??

Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah hell....what the hell is a breakout cable, and where do I get one? They never make it easy do they? hehe.. thanks for your response

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Soycrema,

That's exactly what I am trying to figure out. I have a spare output at 119 on my dish network LNB, so I am wondering, if I jsut plug in the DirecTV RCA receiver, I should be able to get their programming right?

Also, some 'rumors' are floating around about a DirecTV Limited package for $6.95 that includes the 199 channel. I say rumor because everyone talks about it but nobody seems to be actually subscribed to this package.

Quote:
Originally posted by Soycrema:
BTDT, correct me if I'm wrong. If I have a spare feed from my Dish 500 twin LNBF I can connect a coax cable to it and connect that to a Direct TV receiver. With this I should be able to get channel 199 HDNet since this one channel is broadcast from the 119 satellite, same as Dish. Correct?

If I want the rest of Direct TV's programming then I have to aim a dish at 101, but would the Dish 500 and a Direct TV HD receiver be enought if i ONLY want channel 199??

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Pericles (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
708 Posts
Pericles,

Yes as far as I know that set up should work if you only want Direct TV's channel 199. I am a current Dish subscriber and just want to get that HDNet from Direct TV. I thing the "basic" package is now $7.99 and you have to "ask" for HDNet. Could someone confirm this please? And also about the set up for 199 ONLY (will it work? someone told me already that there is a elevation diference with direct tv's 199, is it true?)

Thanks.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
It is also true if you have a spare lnb leg off Dish 119, you can use it for the RCA box just fine. Configure your RCA for oval dish and you can can HD channels from DirecTV.

If you tell me what type TV inputs you have I can tell you what cable you want to have. I did not know DirecTV stopped sending new software for RCA box though. Mine was updated 10 months ago.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jacmyoung,

I have a Toshiba projection, only component inputs. I understand I need some sort of adapter from rgb to component but I have never seen one, nor do I know where to get one. Heck, not even the radio shack people know what I am talking about....

Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung:
It is also true if you have a spare lnb leg off Dish 119, you can use it for the RCA box just fine. Configure your RCA for oval dish and you can can HD channels from DirecTV.

If you tell me what type TV inputs you have I can tell you what cable you want to have. I did not know DirecTV stopped sending new software for RCA box though. Mine was updated 10 months ago.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi Pericles,

Yes, you need a transcoder for your Tosh set.

You have a handful of options:

- Audio Authority A960

- Key Digital KD-VTCA1

- RCA VHDC300

Copperbox.com sells all of them.

The AA is the best match with the Toshiba. The KD works but it loses sych easily. A lot more involved fiddling with the dip switches to coax it to work.

Thanks,

Errol

------------------
Keohi HDTV

Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

[This message has been edited by kealii (edited 09-08-2001).]

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Dang guys, these boxes are not cheap. You mean they don't just make a cable or adapter that's cheaper and simply takes rgb to component? What's a breakout cable that someone was referring to in another thread?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
RGB & component video are not interchangeable, even though both are capable of carrying HDTV signals. The Toshiba sets will not accept RGB, and you will need a transcoder if you want to use the DTC-100 with it.

The breakout cable is simply to convert the connector type from what's on the back of the DTC-100 (DB-15, like a computer VGA) to the 5 wires (RCA connectors or BNC connectors) that most displays with RGB input accept. Some displays accept RGB on the DB-15, and no breakout cable would be needed.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.