AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an RCA DTC-100 that I believe got blown out in a lightning storm. It is one of 3 boxes hooked up to the dish, but it was the only one affected. No satellite signal would be found at all, though the OTA side works fine. I got another quickly through a little wrangling, but I was going to try to get this one repaired as well. Haven't talked to the repair place yet but I was wondering if anyone had experience with this. So...my question is, how much do you think it would cost the repair this? I believe the part gone is the LNB or whatever, most of it works fine.

------------------

Cal Z.

Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ RCA DTC-100

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

·
Registered
801 Posts
If it's the LNB, exchanging the receiver won't fix the problem.

Could be one of your LNBs is shot, but that would only affect some of your channels. The LNB is located on the dish, it is part of the feed to which you connect your coax. Since the other receivers work, and the RCA doesn't work at all chances are it is the receiver, it should work on the channels which the other receivers won't.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
973 Posts
Try moving your dtc 100 that is not working to a room where 1 of the other sat rcvrs is working.see if you get a signal if you don't the satellite tuner portion is probably blown.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I'm positive its just the satellite side that is blown. I was wondering if it was just a drop-in component and how much that cost.

Reasons why I think just the satellite decoder blew:

-I replaced it with a brand-new one which works perfectly

-OTA analog and HDTV work fine on the "broken" one

-Box reports 0 signal on both birds when checked in menus

------------------

Cal Z.

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

·
Registered
973 Posts
You could get a DTV RCA 420 real cheap around $50.00 and change out the tuenrs if they were compatible. If not you could still use the DTC 100 for OTA and if you want satellite get a RCA DRD420 to get the SD DTv channels. You will only be losing the capabilitie to get HBO HD.I have heard if you call DTV with a sob story that you can't afford to replace your rcvr and becaus eof that you are cancelling they will give you a programming credit of $150-$300 so you can buy a new one.

[This message has been edited by satpro (edited 07-06-2001).]

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
If you had the original DTC100 powered through a surge protector, perhaps it would be productive to request the surge protector manufacturer replace the receiver under its lifetime equipment blowout guarentee if applicable.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its over a year old so warranty from them and credit card company is probably out.

I had it on a surge protector, but since just the satellite side blew out, I think the jolt probably came down the dish line. Which I obviously didn't have on a surge. Probably some way to ground that that wasn't done http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

I had really already checked out my other options, I just wanted a guess on how much it would cost to repair my current one...

------------------

Cal Z.

and

·
Registered
973 Posts
Or when you use your credit card to pay they will give you a warranty of a year or so on products over $500. Check your terms.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I talked to them twice on the phone and they supposedly faxed something to a local electronics shop twice. The place never called me and it was closed when I stopped by last. Going to call them on Monday...was just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

------------------

Cal Z.

and

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my DTC100 that you did. And in fact it started happening right after a lightning strike. The DTC100 would not pick up any DirecTV signal, however the OTA worked fine.

Furtunately my DTC was less than a year old, however it was beyond the 90 days of free labor. They sent me a new one to my house to exchange for my old one. They charged me $140, which was pretty good considering the time it would have taken having them fix it (and they would have charged $125 for the labor).

I guess you could always find a friend with one under warranty and have him exchange yours with the one RCA sends.

Good luck,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.