AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used RCA DTC-100 receiver, and it's having some strange issues. The picture has lots of horizontal lines, and the colors look weird and blotchy. It's a little like the color banding you get if you set your videocard to 256 colors. This affects both digital/HD channels and regular NTSC analog, OTA and through a cable hook up. I don't have DirectTV, so I haven't tested it with that. It's there through the VGA output and the various standard def outputs.

Even stranger is that it doesn't affect the OSD and menus. They look just fine, clear as day. And there are a couple of HD channels that aren't affected, so long as the receiver is set to 16:9 mode (unfortunately my monitor is 4:3).

Any clues as to what this is? Is it hopeless?

·
Registered
22,258 Posts
How's the DTC-100 connected to the TV?

Are you using a VGA to component video transcoder?

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's connected directly through RGB, no transcoder. I've also tried the other outputs, and have the same problems.

·
Registered
22,258 Posts
well,

The only output on the DTC-100 that supports HD is the VGA.

Now, if your TV has an 'RGB' input (not to be confused with Red/Green/Blue or component), then a 'converter' cable will work. BUT... if you you are using that same cable into a 'component' input on the TV, it will not work properly. You need a transcoder.

OTOH, is the sam symptoms occur using S-Video or composite. it may just be a bad box.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I'm familliar with the outputs on the DTC100. In fact, that's why I bought it, because my TV only supports RGB. I've tried component to VGA transcoders, but the results haven't been acceptable. So I decided to go for something that outputs RGB natively.

And like you said, the fact that it's doing this on both the VGA output and the svideo is a strong hint that the whole box is bad, but I wanted to put this out there to see if anyone had had a similar problem. You never know. And it's weird that the menus are unaffected.

Now I'm leaning towards one of the Philips 99XX series Eboxes paired with Comcast's HD cable box. They're incredibly cheap on Ebay, and according to posts here on AVS, there is a service menu setting that allows them to be used on anything with an RGB input, rather than just Philips plasmas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.