AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have been noticing that my RCA DTC-100 cannot find the 101W satellite after switching to the 119W satellite. For example, tonight I watched The Sopranos on HBO-HD (119W), and now I can't change channels to Showtime to watch Queer as Folk (101W). VERY annoying.

Up until recently, turning off power to the DTC-100 for 30 seconds to make it reset itself cured the problem (at least, until the next time I tuned in channels 509 or 199), but in the past week or so I have had to leave the box off for longer and longer periods of time (up to an hour the last time) for the DTC-100 to come back to life on the 101W channels. But since this morning, it seems that NO amount of power disconnection is long enough. It's as though 101W isn't even there.

OTA broadcasts (HDTV and analog) are unaffected. This is the second multiswitch that I've had installed, and the satellite guy who came out to my house today says that everything looks good on the LNBs and the multiswitch. So, do I have a bad DTC-100?

------------------

Scott Gammans

Another satisfied NEC VT540 owner
The Scooterplex Cinema 1

[This message has been edited by Scott Gammans (edited 04-22-2001).]

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
IF you can get to your dish easily, try bypassing the multiswitch and connect straight to the LNB for 101. See if everything works OK. Then do the same for 119. If they both work when directly connected, you probably have a bad switch, despite what they are telling you. You could also try the same tests with another receiver to see if the 101 bird comes in on the other receiver.

------------------

Steve

Visit our dedicated home theater, The City Cinema.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've been having the same problems with my DTC-100 for awhile now. For me it seems to be a polarity thing, because some 101 channels come in, and others don't. My other three (non-HD) receivers have no problems pulling in 101, 119, or 110. I've been planning on replacing the multiswitch as a start to fixing the problem (plus I need more ports), but I haven't had the time to work on it. DirecTV tech support has been of no help whatsoever.

--Andrew

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, for me it's all or nothing; either all 101W stations come in or none of them come in.

Steve, I tried what you suggested and I do indeed have no problems with direct connections. I also tried telling the DTC-100 that it was connected to a round 18" dish (i.e., tune in satellite 101W only), and again it picked up 101W channels just fine. So if I understand you correctly, you are saying that despite what the technician said I still have a bad multiswitch, huh?

Crap.

------------------

Scott Gammans

The Scooterplex Cinema 1

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I fought a problem similiar to yours. I could get the 101 bird but not the 119. I bypassed the multiswitch by directly connecting to the 119 or 101 lnb and my DTC-100 worked fine. So I then replaced my multiswitch, thinking it was bad. After replacing the multiswitch it was still a no-go. Turns out my DTC-100 tone generator was bad (the tone generator controls the multiswitch). I purchased a refurbished unit (DTC-100) from thomson ($239) and it now works fine. If you order a multiswitch from thomson and it does not correct the problem they will take it back. This is a pain in the a$$ to figure out. BTW, I kept the multiswitch so I now have a known good multiswitch if this occurs again.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that bit of info, Michael. I am going to call them today.

------------------

Scott Gammans

The Scooterplex Cinema 1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.