AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I receive the HD content from DirecTV by just pointing my simple 18" round dish (with one LNB) at the 119' bird?? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yes. Many of us did this before we were even able to get the ovals or the tone switches.

------------------
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Yes, you can, but with a "but." If this is your only connection with DirecTV, if your DTC-100 needs the newest software upgrade, you will not get it. It is my understanding that this upgrade only comes from the 101 satellite. Also, you need to look elsewhere for the correct pointing information for the single satellite other than what you will get from the receiver. The receiver has settings for a single satellite pointed at 101 or the elliptical satellite pointed at both 101 and 119. There is no info either from the receiver or DirecTV on how to point a single satellite at 119. You can get that info from the web, though.

SMK

·
Registered
576 Posts
IF you would like to point to just the 119 Sat. I would suggest getting a 24" (not an Oval) dish. This will give you a better signal. As for pointing your dish you will need to set your elevation between 5.2 to 5.6 degrees lower than the setup menu says for a single Sat. Example if 101 is at 31.4 elevation set your elevation to 25.8 ( this happens to be my settings). The 119 Sat sits lower than the 101. You can get a 24" dish from http://www.starkelectronic.com/wing2.htm it worked great for me, Love the Sopranos is HD.

Hope I have helped you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.