AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I receive the HD content from DirecTV by just pointing my simple 18" round dish (with one LNB) at the 119' bird?? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
You also won't get receiver firmware updates on 119. Seriously consider getting the elliptical dish.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ray H - I'm not sure that is true or not : I'm currently having trouble with my dish install (several topics floating around the hardware section). It appears that I'm getting 119 OK, but not 101 : I'm getting HBO-HD, but NOT the other HBO channels. However - I DID get the upgrade last week.

You may be right, but it appears to me that I'm not receiving 101 and I surely did get the upgrade

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Interesting, MrMike. Maybe DirecTV has started throwing the updates out on 119. That makes me wonder if they're still available on 101. By the way, is the update your received "A04.037"? I presume you checked in the receiver's service menu that absolutley positively no 101 xponders are coming in at all?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ray H

yes, it's definetely the new upgrade version

re the transponders : on 101 bird, I'm getting all odd transponders, with strength of mid 80s, I get even transponders 22-32 with strength mid 70s, and don't get any even transponder < # 22

on 119, I'm getting 22-32, but I think that the RCA doesn't even look for lower #s on 119, says " invalid transponder #" ??!! Strength similar to 101 bird ::: very suspicious that I'm getting 119 all the time, since I do get HB)-HD, but not the other HBO channels

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrMike_49:
on 101 bird, I'm getting all odd transponders
Ok, it's probable that you did get your update off 101 - from one of the 101 "odd" xponders you do receive. As far as 119, there aren't as many xponders in use as 101. The numbers 22 thorugh 32 sounds about right. For 101, it might be productive to check the two RF cables from the 101 LNB to the multiswitch. One may be defective, or have a poor or improperly mounted or tightened connector. Check for cross-threaded connections - they'll appear tight, but sometimes not make reliable contact for the 18 volt polarity switching voltage used for "even" xponder reception. Also check for the presence for moisture or dry corrosion inside - a sure sign that moisture was inside at some point. On these 2' long cables, just replace if damage is found, but be sure to use a water resistant "F" connector (the kind with an internal o-ring). There's also a possibility the multiswitch is defective. There's also a possibilty that the 101 LNB is defective. The fact that all xponders on 119 come in and that at least the "odd" xponders on 101 come in is proof that your receiver is Ok.

·
Registered
185 Posts
How often are the upgrades for the DTC100?

Thanks,

Robert_W

------------------

Sit back, relax, and please enjoy the show.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Note that you'll only get the HBO-HD channel (and the HBO-L, which shows the same movie in SD); you won't get any of the other HBO channels without the 101 bird

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.