AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would this set up work for OTA HD viewing?

I read recently that the price of the RCA box has dropped quite a bit. The RCA box comes to mind as it allows for letterboxing of the HD signal (my computer monitor won't perform a squeeze), and the RCA box has an RGB output. The computer monitor should work perfectly?

Will the RCA box work with only an OTA antenna or does is require D* hookup?

Thanks.

Rich B.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Not only will it work, but you can leave the RCA output set to widescreen (fill the entire screen), and then proceed to squeeze the picture with the monitor's setting controls. Great picture quality !

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. This is good news.

Now if I can only find a $500 32-36" computer monitor. :)

I'm not greedy, a CRT model would do just fine, it doesn't have to be an LCD. I'm playing with ideas for my living room, where I want to watch TV and be able to surf the internet via nice fast cable modem connection.

A current TV that has rgb connections is too big for my cabinet (RCA mm36110), others that would fit have been discontinued (RCA mm36100 & Hitachi 36 SDX). The Princeton Graphics and Proton 36" models look good and would fit, but they are $2500+.

So, I was thinking, I can use a large computer monitor (to double as my living room TV) and get an IScan pro. But price a larger computer monitor and you're back in the same $ ballbark. Too much $ for now.

Rich B.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I got a Monivision 29" VGA monitor for about $800.

Check out www.monivision.com

You have to buy it through a reseller since they don't sell direct (I got mine through Dell but they don't list them anymore)

The only snag is the dot pitch is .54mm which is very corse for a computer monitor (it's basically a regular non-HD TV tube with computer monitor guts), so the apparent resolution is dot pitch limited to 900 dots wide. (It's not so bad: 1080i res. is higher then most computer monitors can handle anyway. I've yet to see a 21" monitor resolve 1920 pixels across without hitting the dot pitch limit)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.