AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I've had both, I think the HDTV picture is slightly better on the DTC-100 via RGB. The OTA performance is definitely better on the DTC-100. The E86 wouldn't lock on one of my weak stations, the DTC-100 did. The E86 runs hot, the DTC-100 doesn't.

The APG on the E86 is the selling point for this box to me. Oh, and I think it's the only HD box at present that comes with a RF remote.

·
Registered
345 Posts
RF remote is very cool. I feed my entire houses old cable setup from my Mits clone of the E-86 and take the remote when I go from the bedroom, to my PC's TV capture card to the garage. Its like having an IRD an each room.

They both seem to be "classics" that are more reliable and less flacky then alot of the competion which comes and goes. I would guess that these two IRD's have a majority of the market. Many of the latest and greatest seem to not be so great.

Steve

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
One caveat with the DTC-100 is that ESPN-HD can be unwatchable at times because of frequent audio dropouts. It is a widespread problem with this STB, and has been occuring since D* added ESPN-HD in July.

Also, you may have problems with the DTC-100 if you have old firmware. My STB outputs a picture via the component outputs that is horizontally squeezed, making everything look skinny. Thomson thusfar has given me the runaround on getting me the "paddle upgrade" required to fix this problem. I have called them 7-8 times since early July and consistently am told that they will call me back in a few days with information about setting up a tech to fix the problem.

If these two problems were corrected, I would be very satisfied with this STB.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Xfactor,

I would say that both of those issues are firmware related as I have been watching ESPN on my DTC100 without dropouts since it came online. The ugraded firmware will give you the proper option for using your display via component inputs w/transcoder without any stretch.

On a side note, I think the DTC-100 is a shade sharper than the Samsung unit I just got, but the Sammy's guide is much better.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by XFactor
One caveat with the DTC-100 is that ESPN-HD can be unwatchable at times because of frequent audio dropouts. It is a widespread problem with this STB, and has been occuring since D* added ESPN-HD in July.

Also, you may have problems with the DTC-100 if you have old firmware. My STB outputs a picture via the component outputs that is horizontally squeezed, making everything look skinny. Thomson thusfar has given me the runaround on getting me the "paddle upgrade" required to fix this problem. I have called them 7-8 times since early July and consistently am told that they will call me back in a few days with information about setting up a tech to fix the problem.

If these two problems were corrected, I would be very satisfied with this STB.

I just got mine upgraded. You actually will have to conference your local service center with RCA. Call 580-634-0067. This person got it done for me. They fax a form to the service center. The service center has to order the smart card with the paddle upgrade. The service center has 10 days to do the upgrade and return the card to RCA.

I don't have the sound break up problems on ESPN-HD on my DTC-100.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Swithing from to and from OTA was always a pain in the butt with the DTC-100. The E-86/DST3000 has a great inteface with different ways to browse plus I dont think the DTC has caller ID.

I have had both and moved on to the Zenith.

If the DST300 ran cooler and picked up signals like the Zenith, I would go back in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
A number of people with the latest firmware still have significant audio dropout problems on ESPN-HD. Ken H is one of those people, if I recall correctly. I hope the firmware fixes the problem in my unit, but I am not holding my breath.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just got back from talking to a sales guy at circuit city.he said they had allot of warranty problems with the rca....so im leaning towards the hughes..i appreciate the advice guys!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
You'd take the advice of a Circuit City salesman over the excellence and experience of the people on AVSForums? You trust big box store salespeople to tell you the truth about anything?

:)

Sorry, the way you worded that I just couldn't let it go.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bmf5150
i just got back from talking to a sales guy at circuit city.he said they had allot of warranty problems with the rca....so im leaning towards the hughes..i appreciate the advice guys!!
Because the RCA came out long ago when there was very little HD programming, I suspect that a lot of these warranty problems were "there isn't anything to watch" problems. Most of the actual technical problems early on have been fixed by the firmware upgrades.

Ernie

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have had the E86 for a year with no problems

It runs warm so I put a muffin fan on it

but if you are shopping get the best you can!

The sony HD-300 has all the best features including

DVI/HDCP output

HD/SD at the same time

RF remote

11 aspect ratios

VGA output for the rest of the PJs

The E86 is out this month when the Sony comes out!!!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.