AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been happening with increasing frequency: last night during Six Feet Under on HBO-HD on DirecTV channel 509, my RCA DTC100 would suddenly go to black and display "Searching for Satellite." I had to unplug the unit, then hit the "power" button, not once, but twice to restore normal operation. (It wouldn't power back up the first time I would press the power button on each occasion.) This happened three times during the show...most annoying.

Ideas?

·
Registered
780 Posts
HiDefDave: What, if any, other DirecTV set top boxes do you have in your system. There has been the rare post indicating symptoms similar to those you posted caused by the interaction of STB's.

Have you added a set top box recently?

What multiswitch are you using.

I have had this problem at a friends home caused by adding a Hughes SDTV set top box for a secondary location.

If not caused by ""rain fade", a failing multiswitch on LNB, or an out of spec. secondary STB, the next suspect would be the 22Khz tone output of the DTC 100.

I assume that you have eliminated water contaminated F connectors, ETC?

Let us hear from you as I am sure that someone on the forum will have an answer. Regards:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I dont know how long you waited after you plug it back in to press the power button, but with the RCA, after you plug it back in, you have to wait till you hear a click on the stb until you can power it up, usually takes about a few seconds

·
Premium Member
Sony XBR-65A1E, Denon 3400, B&W
965 Posts
Dave,

Have you noticed the occasional loss of audio with the DTC100. I once embarassed myself by calling my CBS affiliate's MC room about no audio on CSI, only to discover it's a "feature" of the DTC100 that corrects itself with either a hot or cold reboot.

Another feature is the sudden power off. This can happen whether I'm watching OTA or D*. To get back to your original problem, I've had this happen as well. Some atmospheric inteference with the signal? For a long time, I've suspected there are bugs that RCA has simply let slide. A memory issue, perhaps? It's as thought registers aren't cleared when they should be, resulting in garbage output. It's the same as when Windows swap file becomes corrupted. The only way to resolve the problem is a reboot.

Linda

·
Registered
34 Posts
The same thing happened to me last night while watching Six Feet Under but this problem has also occurred watching other channels as well. The RCA DTC-100 does a power re-boot every time the air conditioner kicks on or the dishwasher rinse cycle or the garbage disposal.

I have tried different outlets as well as surge protectors and even an APC back-up unit to no avail.

This receiver must be very sensitive to power line condition. No other electronic equipment in my home exhibits this problem.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have been getting the same thing searching for sat the last two weeks. t really is getting bad. Hdnet comes in fine but say Espn flicks back and forth.

I just ordered a new switch but will unplug for a while. I also have a dtc 100.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does there seem to be a specific length of time before the DTC-100 starts

showing these simtoms?

Just curious...Cause I have on too.:eek:

Dean

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Well, I've got one that's been plugged in for two years and has never hiccuped once.

David- Try removing and reinserting the card. Might be a bad connection there.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Dave, do you have the two 18" dish setup? My installer said those switches go bad because of the rain. I ordered a new one with a weather proof enclosure. But see if you have this on all channels or ones on a particular satellite. I will let you all know if it was the switch on Thursday.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies, folks...at least I don't feel like The Lone Ranger with this bug!;)

I have never had another receiver in use with the DTC100. It's all by its lonesome hooked up to an 18 X 24" oval dish via the multiswitch. It's plugged into a UPS which in turn is fed clean, stable AC current from a dedicated 30 amp circuit that only AV gear is on.

This phenomenon started three or four weeks ago and it can happen on any DirecTV channel. I've never observed this on a local channel since I usually use my Zenith HDTV's built-in ATSC tuner for local OTA viewing.

I first started noticing it on CNN channel 202, but there it would lose audio first, then momentarily go to black and display "Searching for Satellite" but then picture and sound would be restored. Sunday night on channel 509 it wouldn't come back without the "hard reboot."

I get signals around 90 at 101-degrees, 85 at 110-degrees and 80 at 119-degrees. There are no obstructions at all.

I wondered whether DirecTV was sending ECMs that might be causing this? (I hasten to state that mine is a fully legal, authorized receiver!)

I guess re-seating the card wouldn't hurt...

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's happening with my DTC100 all night tonite for the first time ever. I've removed and replaced the card. I've unplugged the receiver and plugged it back in and waited several second before turning back on. Same problem, all channels. The picture freezes for a couple of seconds and then screen goes black. Then it tell me it's searching for a signal. Then the reception comes back on for 5 - 10 seconds, then freezes for couple of seconds and then screen goes black...and so on and so on. And it's nly happning on my DTC100 receiver. A second receiver (Sony non-HDTV type)attached to a TV in another room has no problems.

No clue.

kevin

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well, it was not the switch. My installer friend thinks it is a tree, but I get a 80 on both sats? Were going to move it this morning. I tried to hook up my old Sony but get insert proper access card. I tried unplugging and everything. I also have a dtc 100.

·
Registered
842 Posts
No more searching for SAT! It was a big tree. I moved it on top of the garage and now get a 96 even though it was a steady 80 read before. He said the dtc 100 signal read may bleed in to each other giving it a false read. He also said trees grow and has moved 5 dishes already this year because of tree branches. So check to see if you have some trees that may have grown in the way.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Mine has been doing the same thing for about 6 months. Sometimes it doesnt do it at all and sometime it will do it every 30 sec. It does not do it on HBO HD or HDNet. I have another Hughs receiver hooked up to same switch. What should I do? It worked flawlessly for about 6 months.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I have been having a similar problem for about 3 months, but I have two other recievers that periodically experience a similar drop out. I believe I have a bad multiswitch but can't find a replacement anywhere.

Anyone know where to get the RCA 4x4 multiswitch for the RCA eliptical dish that came with the DTC-100?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been house-sitting for David McRoy, founder of this thread. I turned on his DTC100 yesterday and saw the wonderful "Searching for satellite signal" message on the screen. I waited until today and checked again and had the same message. I checked signal strenth and it was registering zip for the three satellites. Called him up and went through a few things on the phone with him and then eventually with tech support to no avail. Wondering if anyone else is having this problem. Dave is wondering if perhaps in an effort to zap any unauthorized cards they have managed to zap his too. Any suggestions? Dave and I would appreciate it!

Thanks guys!

Bruce J.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
I would guess you have the same problem I did a few years ago with the same symptoms. I had a bird that liked to perch on the arm of the LNB and blocked the signal. It took a couple of tries to catch what was going on because he would see me coming out and fly away. Finally caught the culprit. I won't say what I did to solve the problem but I'll leave that to your imagination. he he! Birds are smart enough to know not to land on my dishes anymore!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi ya folks,

This has been happening to my non-HD receiver (orig Sony receiver) of late. It recovers after a few seconds though. So, it could be DirecTV. Speculations abound.

Thanks,

Errol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tried the DTC100 again today and it was working. Finally had the program guide back and a signal.. at least from HBOHD. That lasted about 1 minute and then back to the "Searching for Satellite Signal" message again. There has been a little rain early in the morning (it is now 11pm), but a very overcast day. Is it possible for it to be too cloudy to get a signal? Forgive me if I ask some silly questions :) Living in a condo and not able to have satellite service myself, I get to have fun with friends' while I'm housesitting... but only if it works.

Bruce J.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
I came to this HDTV Hardware forum today expecting 1) To see a thread discussing a DTC-100 / DirectTV problem originating last night & 2) to see a solution.

A friend that is borrowing my DTC-100 just called and said that he is getting the "no satellite" signal & he theorized that it was a pre-fight zap that somehow caused some problems. He is legally receiving the signal BTW.

Of course his call to customer service yielded nothing so how do we get a solution?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.