AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone comment on using the RCA DTC100 or any other box with cable (analog/digital) TV? Is it still as good when using with satellite?:confused:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Harly,

Welcome to the forum. As you're new, how 'bout some more data. Who's your cable co? What do you want to do? What does "Is it still as good..." mean? Picture quality? Cost? Convenience? A more specific question will get you a better answer. HNick

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
The a/v performance of the DTC-100 for analog OTA & cable is not very good, in my opinion. I use a JVC SVHS deck with ghost canceling tuner for my local analog reception, it is vastly superior to the DTC-100.

For digital a/v performance, including OTA, sat SD & HD, the DTC-100 is about as good as anything available.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HNick,

My sysytem includes a Sony PFM42B1 42"plasma monitor, Sony STR55ES receiver, Sony DVPS9000DVD, NHT speakers. My cable comany Cablevision is still analog. They plan to migrate to digital later this year.

I use a JVC SVHS as a tuner to receive cable channels.

I want to get better picture quality from the cable channels. I can not install a satellite dish because of "line of sight" blockage due to trees.

I was thinking the RCA DTC100 would give me a better solution for picture quality for both analog and digital signals from the cable company.

Hope this explains my situation better.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Harly
...I was thinking the RCA DTC100 would give me a better solution for picture quality for both analog and digital signals from the cable company.
You can't use the RCA DTC100 for digital cable. It can only be used for DirecTV, local analog & digital OTA broadcast TV and analog cable TV.

Rare exceptions would be where the cable company sends local digital TV stations in 8VSB format.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
You need to understand that 'digital cable' is not the same as over-the-air (OTA) Digital Television, better known as DTV.

Digital cable is similar to the DBS providers standard definition channels, both are over-compressed and not of high quality.

In SD mode, your local DTV stations will have a better, less-compressed signal than both DBS & digital cable.

In HD mode, the quality of the local DTV stations & the DBS providers are about the same, unless the local stations are multicasting, in which case the HD quality suffers.

Many members have influenced their local DTV stations to not multicast, when transmitting HDTV programing. A call to the station management can be very helpful in this respect and also let them know we are watching and are concerned, which is a good thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.